RANT: new 4x4 buyers in Michigan and finding a 4x4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

RANT: new 4x4 buyers in Michigan and finding a 4x4

Looking for a new vehicle. Since last spring here's been my choices and why I can't own/get them.

1: Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy K5. I live in Michigan, the road salt in the winter would mean it'd have to be in a barn or something from mid October through April if I wanted to keep it relatively rust free. Damn road salt. Not to menion around here, people think they can sell their trucks for double or more what it's worth because it's rust free. Just not practical for me until I move somewhere without snow/winter/road salt/ice/frozen hell/etc.

2: Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummins Turbo Diesel and a stick, preferably 94-98.5 with the 12 valve CTD. I can't insure it. I'd be paying at least $200 a month for full coverage along with trying to make payments on it. Not happening. Not to mention I can't find one without an auto. Damn lazy asses up here never buy sticks. Gotta be the old fart population who drive down to Arizona with their travel trailer every winter. What, you hit 65 and you don't wanna shift anymore? [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

3: Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD, V6, 5 speed stick, extended cab. Damn lazy asses again, I can't find a TRD with a stick, only autos. The rest were owned by cheap skates who didn't get the TRD package, most are 4 cylinder 5 speeds. Grrrrr........

I went to a dealer only auto auction today. 100 acres of cars for sale. Saw zilch for Tacomas. Only 2 Toyota 4x4's actually. I live in Michigan, I should stop expecting to see them. Plenty of 98-02 Dodge Ram 1500's though. Has me thinking. There were a few Ram 1500 Sports that were pretty good looking, decent mileage, and very good shape. I like that bright ass blue, bright ass red, and bright ass yellow they have on them. Only down side was none of the over 15 Dodges I looked at were a stick. Again, this is Michigan, what should I expect..........[img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Funny part is the insurance on a Ram 1500 of that vintage is cheaper than the insurance on a Tacoma by $10. The purchase price is several thousand less........maybe I can live with a few mpg less and an auto tranny.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: gif 915041-rant.gif (25.6 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 08:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: RANT: new 4x4 buyers in Michigan and finding a

i like your rant
i was there 3? years ago
i asked how often dealers see a full size chevy 4x4 ex. cab and manual (3 dealers) they said full size 4x4 and manual once a year, ex. cab chevy....
so i gave up and got an automatic. (thing is they came standard auto in those years '94 or so)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: RANT: new 4x4 buyers in Michigan and finding a 4x4

Why not have someone you know in the Southwest keep an eye out for you and take care of ereything over the phone/computer. Then you could fly down and drive it back. I know several people in the military that buy cars from "back home", then go pic it up and drive back. Could get you a rust free vehicle in decent shape with the options you want for a good price. As for the 3/4 ton Ram with a CTD and a manual, 75% of the rams sold in the US with a CTD are manuals, so it shouldn't be that hard to find one. and 70% were 4X4.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

while those stats should make you feel better AJM, i was looking through the truck, auto, rv traders this morning while waiting to get my haircut. i thought that since your so close i would look for your style of truck. and i'll be damned, your right. i found one dodge in all of them that was a 5 spd....and it was 2wd with dualies. hence not your style. good luck, and i'll keep looking.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

That was the plan with the K5, but then I realized that I needed something reliable and that I didn't absolutely love and fawn over so I could drive it every day of the year, including Michigan's frozen hell winters with road salt, ice, snow, slush, etc etc etc. So it doesn't make sense for me to buy a K5 or something right now, only to have to put it away 6 months outta the year. I'm sick of driving a beater right now.

That was also the plan with the CTD Ram 2500. However, I can't afford to insure it, so it's really not an option right now. I guess all 30% of the CTD Rams with autos must be in Michigan, because in about 4 months of watching the papers, websites, and Trader publications, I haven't seen ONE with a stick.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Thanks Sparty, I'm pretty much going for a Ram 1500 now. There were many at that auction yesterday I'd love to own. Gonna call the guy who's doing the looking/buying for me and update him of my latest change of mind/situation. If he can get me a deal on a Ram like he got my buddy on his Ranger, I'd be more than happy.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] If you happen to run across a good shape Ram 1500 4x4 shortbed (quad or single cab is fine) with the 318 and stick in good shape, I'm interested.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i will be on the look out
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 12:24 PM
Can't Get Enough

It might not be that no one in Michigan has then, it might be that they just love them as much as you would like to and are not selling them. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

No, there just aren't many here. Up here in the rust belt the average age of a vehicle isn't much more than 5 years old. People buy a new vehicle, drive them around for a few years, then sell them or trade them in on another new vehicle. Mid 90's GM's and Dodges already have bad rust on them here. You have to seriously be on top of it to keep them rust free. The vintage and configuration I want would be on the market now if it were available.[img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 05:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

true friggin story! the rust belt.....my truck is starting to have rust peek its ugly head through. grr, but it is a 94. still, grr
-michigan government, go to sand and quit with the salt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode