Whats a good movie for surround sound? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Whats a good movie for surround sound?

Hello Folks...
My wife and I just took home a new Kenwood complete 5.1 surround sound system, but its too late to hook it all up tonite [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]...so maybe you guys can give me some good suggestions for tomorrow....on some good movies that will really go well with surround sound. My friend said to rent Days Of Thunder , but all I can think of is sitting down to watch my Bullitt DVD, and enjoy the speakers...although its an old movie and the sound won't be like a new digital flick....the cars sure will sound nice. So what are some good movies that will sound awesome? Something to get the sub-woofer thumpin'. I'd prefer non- sci-fi stuff, but I'm willing to try anything. Thanks [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Rembrant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 07:00 PM

Re: Whats a good movie for surround sound?

<font color="blue">I LOVE SURROUND SOUND!!!! Ok now that I'm done yelling [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. I have a mild 30 watt 4 speaker surround sound setup. But movies I've watched that are a treat to listen to off the top of my head are.
The Matrix
X-Men (Ok but not real great sound IMO)
Lord of the RIngs!!! was an absolute bomb to hear!
Pearl Harbor.
Planet of the Apes remake from a few years back. I haven't watched the origonals since I've had SS but have all of them on DVD and belive they have SS.
The Patriot
Any of the Star Trek or Star Wars movies on DVD.
Really any sort of war movie where there are bullits and things flying around.
DUNE, Not the one with patrik stewart, The one that was on Sci-Fi channel a while back.
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Thats all I have right now, ENjoy the sound [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], I'm still amazed at how cool it is to have SS in my own house [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].</font color>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 07:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Matrix is prolly one of the best surround sound movies out there, in particular the lobby scene. As for non-sci-fi, Gladiator, Braveheart, the battle scenes are good to get the whole surround sound feel, from what I have seen.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My brother in law is big into that surround sound stuff. I'd say any dvd played on a high quality surround sound system would sound pretty cool. He likes watching those war movies and the planes, helicopters and machine guns all sound cool. My favorite movies are westerns-(its redneck not hillbilly [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])-so unless you like the sound of bawlin' cows on surround sound, thats probably not your first choice. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 07:10 PM

Any of the Jurassic(sp?) Park flicks
Blackhawk Down
Apocalypse Now

hmmmm, the Star Wars flicks would probably be excellent, too!!!

Enjoy!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

I've been thinking, and i saw that movive Hard Rain a couple of years back at the theatre, and I remember the gunfire sounded awesome, so that one is on my list for sure....remember Christain Slater and Morgan Freeman? I love that shoot 'em up guns, and cars chase stuff....but somebody there mentioned Braveheart , now theres a movie I'd love to see again...good call [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Also, I have the movie Heat already in my DVD collection, and I can't wait to watch that....lots o gunfire in that one [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. can ya tell what I'm leaning towards? he he he. Thanks folks, keep 'em comin'.
Rembrant
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

DOH, I have HEAT and I totally forgot about that. The scenes near the end where they are running around the streets, yeah that sounds great on surround.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 08:59 PM

Top Gun is a great movie to get the surround sound and sub pumping, but theres a little too much mushy stuff and too little dogfights and stuff.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 09:59 PM
Mud in my Veins

The first movie with surround sound was Blade Runner, but Dolby Surround is old technology now. I think Dolby 5.1 was developed specifically for Return of the Jedi (or at least for Mr. Lucas! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]), but the latest types are Dolby Digital &amp; DTS. Which SS decoder does your receiver have? Get any movie that has that type of encoding listed on it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 02:09 AM

Oh how I lub my little theater. I just added in my 7.1 speakers (have had 7.1 receiver for a while but only one set of rear speakers hooked up) and it's not a huge difference but definately noticeable. Not much media out right now for it though, All I have is a test CD with clips from movies that are done in 7.1. Anyway, Pearl Harbor is one of my best sounding ones with a watchable movie. Works with 7.1 too. Gotta love a P51 flying around your living room [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode