I'm preparing to take the plunge - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I\'m preparing to take the plunge

Some of you may remember my post a while back about quitting smoking.

I bought patches and gum and I'm supposed to quit tomorrow, but I don't wanna! I mean, yes, I realize I'm slowly killing myself and I probably smell bad, too, but, I'm really gonna miss my smokes and I'm afraid in 2 months I'll have an ass the size of Texas!

So far, the plan is as follows:

1. Get up tomorrow and slap on a patch
2. Drink my coffee and cry cause there's no lovely cigarette to go with it
3. Drive to work and chew gum
4. Come to work and try not to kill anyone during a nicotine fit
5. If I make it thru the day at work, drive home and chew gum
6. Get home and chew gum and try not to raid the fridge (do you think a padlock would be useful?)
7. Go to sleep and repeat on day two

I know I need to quit, but, I'm really gonna miss it!!! [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] What will I do without my Marlboros??? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I think I'm having a panic attack!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 08:56 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: I\'m preparing to take the plunge

Have you investigated the drug? (I forget the name... [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) It actually alleviates the "dependence" in your brain, that gives you the panic attacks. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Another excellent aid to quitting is to budget the money you WOULD be spending on cigs toward something you really want - like an ARB or a winch! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Zyban (or Wellbutrin) is the drug you're thinking of. It's an anti-depressant. Yes, I have investigated, but don't like the idea of taking stuff like that and I would have to get a prescription for it, too.

Funny that the "just think of how much money you'll save" thing just doesn't provide as much incentive as it used to. I know I can do it, it's just gonna be hard [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'm an addict [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 09:24 PM
wrobel

i tried quitting a few times, but i eventually gave up. cancer and heart disease run in the family, so i figured that it wouldnt really matter if i gave up smoking or not. congrats if you quit, and an "i know how it feels" if you end up smokin again

i swear, i've quit more times that i've started up again
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 09:34 PM
Mud in my Veins

Addiction

It's actually the same stuff you're addicted to now: dopamine. Your brain normally produces it, and it keeps you calm. When you get tired, your brain uses it (& norepinephrine) to make you sleepy. Nicotine causes it to be produced slightly more than normal, which is why cigs make you feel calm. But after a while, your system figures out that you're tricking it, and brings the levels back down to normal - which is why you smoke more. But if you try to quit, you lose the extra stimulation and you don't get ENOUGH dopamine, and you feel nervous and restless. Eating causes you to feel calm & sleepy for other reasons, which is why some people gain weight. Bupropion (the generic name) causes the level of dopamine to slowly return to normal by "stimulating" its production in the brain, which is the only reason it's classed as a stimulant/anti-depressant. The good thing is that you don't have to quit cold-turkey to take it - you can keep smoking until the drug builds up to full effect and THEN toss the Marlboros! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

The patch just keeps you hooked on nicotine. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 01:23 AM
Mud in my Veins

I'm trying to get my best friend to quit. Hard because her mom and most of her family smoke, along with a lot of her friends. Still, I love her to much to let her sit there and slowly kill herself from the inside out. If she wants to die she can keep driving around with me. [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Now her younger sister (my ex from the earlier post on here) is smoking. Lovely. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 01:28 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Addiction

It really does work like that. My buddy used an anti-depr to stop dipping. He said it was great. He just kept on dipping an started to notice that more and more time would go by before he would take another dip. He said he finally just tossed his snuff in the trash. This guy had tried to stop on several other occasions without luck.

I stopped dipping oncer using the patches. It was still a bitch! I actually used the weakest dose so that didn't help, but it still felt like I was going cold turkey. 30 bucks or so for a weeks worth of patches.... and i was hooked on those for about a month and a half. I still ended up dipping again. I hear your pain though. I really need to stop... I'll almost certainly try the anit-dep method when i do.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 04:06 AM

Cheryle
Was thinkin about you yesterday, and wondering if you were still gonna quit. Its just mind over matter, so just tell yer body NO, and punch as many people as possible..LOL, just kidding. My wife tried Zyban or one of those drugs, and it made her sick, but I think the purpose of them is to make you sick....when you smoke. FWIW, I gave up all my bad eating habits last Monday, like the fast food, the junk food, etc, and its killing me, I'd rather quit smoking any day, (its been 4 years this month without the butts) [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Next stop is the gym, but I gotta get past this junk food part first. Good Luck quitting, you'll never be sorry you did. Later [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 06:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I never had a problem with nic-fitting or anything. My problem with quitting was having something to do when not doing anything. Bag of sunflower seeds and a bottle of water or iced tea normally took care of that. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 10:30 AM

hey girl, good luck [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] get stuff to keep your hands and your mouth busy. hmmmm, was that lst line a great setup or what?? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ok, let's have it....lol

anyway, no words of advice come to mind, just encouragement [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode