Gun stuff: Rock Island .45's, who's got one? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Gun stuff: Rock Island .45\'s, who\'s got one?

http://www.rockisland45.com

They're one of the new products from Sarco that gets talked about a bit in the latest issue of the Shotgun News. Supposed to be a very faithful and quality reproduction of the WWII M1911A1 Government Model pistols my Gramps and I'd bet quite a few of yours carried around.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Made on CNC machinery and the reviews of the guns I've seen are pretty positive. I want to get a CCW and can't justify $800 on a Kimber or Para-Ordanance right now. $400 I can do. I've never seen the point in a lot of the crap people do to guns if it's not ment to be anything but a self defence pistol at close range.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Plain jane, reliable as hell, and the ability to punch softball sized holes in the other side of someone works for me.[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So who's got one? Seen one? Handled one? Etc etc etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 01:12 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Gun stuff: Rock Island .45\'s, who\'s got one?

First off, no, I have not seen one before. I hear ya on the plain Jane part. I just wanted Somthing simple myself.... so I got a Colt... nothing fancy. Just a M1991A1 Commander, no adjustable sights and all that jazz. My buddy got the M1991A1 W/ the 5" barrel. Those models actually picked up where the serial numbers left off when they stopped making the 1911's. Both are parkarized too. Mine Just has the "combat" hammer, and the 4 1/4" barrel. I paid 450 or so back in 94 for mine (God have I had it that long) [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I have really enjoyed it.... good gun. I was checking out some knives made by colt on ebay, "combat commander" and "jungle commander" sure would look nice sittin' next to my 45.... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Although when it comes to bigger knives like that, I have more than enough already.

From the small write up and pic it sounds good so far. I'd be interested to know some more about them too. I still never got my wife a pistol like I had planned. But she keeps Col. Colt mighty handy when I'm at the station, along with her 243 Rem Mohawk.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i carry a 40 sig. its a sw40v. good gun pretty cheap look into that as a possability too.
i only paid $299 for mine, never fired
theo
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I like the M1991A1's, but they've gotten a little more expensive since then. I found a nice used fullsize one, but the guy wouldn't go below $500. I need a CCW and $500 is to much for a used one when I can get essentially the same gun for $320 new. The word COLT on the side of it is cool, but not worth that much to me right now. Shotgun News and Sarco say the parts are fully interchangeable with any M1911 pattern gun that is faithful to the originals. Parkerized and all. Only decision I'd really have about it would be what grips do I want with it. Mahogoney or WWII-ish wood grips. Probably end up ditching them for some rubber grips or something anyways, but it's the principal of the thing.[img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Might put some better sights on it, especially something for night shooting since I work 2pm to 10pm and tend to be half night owl. Do a lot of traveling in the dark.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Hahaha, your wife would fit in with my family well. Other than half the women just being to damn small for bigger guns, I wouldn't cross any of them with a gun in their hands. [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 09:26 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yeah, I ditched the rubber grips on mine for some mesquite ones I made. Then I took a propane torch to them, just hit 'em real light and hand rubbed the finish on em. I'll post a pic..... but it does not show up good.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 902930-dsc_003.jpg (50.1 KB, 39 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Ooooooh, perdy. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I'm thinking the rubberized grips because with that small, shortened butt the custom has for that 6 round mag, being able to get a good grip would be important. Standard size or the midsize like you have, I'd probably go with a WWII-esq wooden grip set.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Now my uncle (Mr Gun Dealer) says they're decent enough guns, but he likes the Thompson/Auto Ordanance .45's. Supposed to be similar, just made in the USA. Gonna look around and get some prices and eyeball one of 'em.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Okay, after FINALLY talking to my Uncle (deer hunting season just started), he didn't seem to impressed with the Rock Island guns. He has only sold one, but the one he sold was covered in hammer marks and other finish marks that even the original WWII M1911A1's were free of. He never looked inside of the gun, but if the exterior was covered with them, anyone wanna bet the interior and working parts had them too?

He recommended the Auto-Ordnance .45's, and the Firestorm .45's:
www.Auto-Ordnance.com
http://www.firestorm-sgs.com

Auto Ordnance is the company that makes the Tommy guns you see in Shotgun News, and Firestorm seems to be a division of Llama, a well respected Peruvian gun maker. The prices on the Firestorm guns seems REALLY nice. Gonna talk to my uncle about it.

He's also recommending I get a 4.5" barrel and full 7 round mag if I go .45 like you did TxFireman. He says with a 3.5-3.75" barrel and relatively light weight it'd have some pretty aggressive recoil.[img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 11:47 AM

I'm pretty happy with a 4.5" barrel (bushingless) cause the smaller barrel guns usually have a shorter handle and it just doesnt feel right....i wanna .50 desert eagle though, my buddies anaconda can get to be too much after a while,,,,,,although its fun as hell to shoot. If your not going for concielment, I'd get a stainless frame and slide with a 5" barrel (damn accurate for playing around) I always saved for the "better" gun though, I am soooooo happy with my kimber eclipse II, it just feels perfect when you fire it, but I like a heavier gun. I would have to fire those a few times before deciding if I wanted one. Is thier a gun shop by you whare you can try it out. Thier is 100 by me...its all personal preference
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

This will be my CCW. I'm not the biggest guy in the world, so a fullsize Government model .45 would be pretty hard for me to conceal. That's what appealed to me about the really cut down Rock Island model. Have to see how much smaller the midsize models are........

I'm planning on getting a fullsize one eventually, just for fun and home defence. That one will probably be a faithful WWII reproduction too. I'm not into all these fancy things people do to their gun. Safety and reliability is great, but all the other stuff I don't care. Long as I can hit a man with it, works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode