Bowhunters, how'd you do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Bowhunters, how\'d you do?

Archery elk season has wound down here in NM. Those wily elk bested me again. Saw plenty of animals, only 2 bulls, a spike and a 5x5. Neither stalk provided a shot opportunity. Called a cow in at @ 20 yards but cover was too thick to shoot. The weather was really too warm this year. Found elk, mule deer, bear, javelina, and a bobcat all in the same area which I thought was pretty unusual. Elk was the only thing I drew out for this year, I can still purchase an over the counter tag for the late muley season so I'll keep flinging arrows at foam until that rolls around. How about you?

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bowhunters, how\'d you do?

Sounds like you had a great time though![img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We dove hunt on the same peice of land every year, but this will be the last year at that place since it's being cleared to be built into yet another housing subdivision.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

"Semi-Crazy"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Addict

sad but true

I know exactly what you mean. Many of the places I shot dove and quail as a kid are now the places where people I know are buying homes. I'm just thankful that I live in a state where pretty good opportunities still exist for public land hunting, fishing and camping.

Jeff
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 07:48 PM
wrobel

Re: sad but true

we have a lot of property on the farm i work at to bow hunt. but the owner is talking about selling a chunk to developers. i guess corn fields just aren't hip these days
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 05:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Archery starts for me next Saturday. I can't wait!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 07:30 AM

i drew a muzzleloader elk tag this year , so i didnt hunt with my bow. it s a good thing i didnt buy a bow tag because the place where i hunt was on fire most of the season. the boulder creek fire burned right through my happy hunting grounds here in southern oregon,i think it needed a good burn to eliminate all the brush and fallen trees on the ground . i look forward to going up in november and killing my elk with my old smoke pole. Von Warner
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I got my cow after 12 days of hunting. I caught her 40 yards out as she put her head behind a tree, and took her with a heart shot.(I was aiming about 4" higher but I'll take it! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

She went about 40-50 yards and went down.

I was within 30 yards of a beautiful bull, still don't know if he was a 5x5 or 6x6. Dad got within 25yards of a 7x7 and was hiding behind a stump when it stood up and walked within 18 yards of him! He said that made his hunt. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I've taken 3 elk out of 4 years hunting the same area.
2 cows and a spike with 22" spikes.

I wish they'd let us take branched antler bulls! [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Here's the pics!!!

my cow

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

White-tail bow hunting starts in another week or so here [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Got myself a new Matthews cam/wheel setup small overdraw (1.5"), shooting XX78 eastons [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Can't wait to stick one in a deer [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
I got 2 bow tags (with or without antlers) 2 doe tags, and one regular season rifle antler tag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode