Buying smashed...any thoughts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Buying smashed...any thoughts?

Hello folks,
My wife and I are in the market for a new car, maybe not brand new, but new to us. We've done lots of test drives and looked at many models, but as you all know, to buy new or late model, costs lots of clams. So, we have a friend who rebuilds late model wrecked cars, and resells them...and I have to admit, he does beautiful work. The best thing is the price, we can buy one of these cars for about 1/2 or 2/3 of the regular price of the same used model. These cars must be completely re-certified before they can be registered and put back on the road, and the guy is a good friend, so its not like buying from some shyster on a lot. He told us we can pick whatever car we want, and he can find one.....he brings them back from Montreal. So what do you think, any pros and cons? Anything to be extremely aware of? he sells many of these cars and has repeat customers so I confident with him, but would it turn out to be one of those lessons I like to learn the hard way? BTW, we're thinking of an Acura or a Honda maybe. I'm open for opinions. thanks folks.
Rembrant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 08:55 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Buying smashed...any thoughts?

Be careful. You said Honda or Acura, so I guess you're looking at just unibodies. If the unibodies get tweaked, they can be a bitch to get straight, or are sometimes impossible to get straight. My buddy's dad owns a body shop and worked for 2 months on one of those new Ford cute utes, Escape? The little FWD car based one. The thing was just tweaked enough that even after he got it all back together the first time he couldn't make anything line back up. Every time I went over there they were in the back messing with it. I'm not certain if they eventually fixed it or the insurance company totalled it after a while. It was just gone one day and I never asked.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 07:19 PM

I know here in Arizona (I would assume everywhere)
Once a vehicle has been "Totaled" and written off by the insurance Co. Sold to a wreaking yard, body shop or your buddy.
The vehicle will need a NEW title and it will say"RESTORED SALVAGE"on the title.
Banks will not make a car loan for a restored salvage title.
Also you may be saving $5K on it now, but when you go to sell it will be worth $5K less than a regular titled vehicle then too. That is if you can sell it at all.

Speaking just for myself I would look for something else. There are deals out there you just have to be persistent.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 10:35 PM

dont do it, my friend Evan has a salvaged title Le Baron, he just cant get rid of the thing, one car lot wont give him ANYTHING on trade in cuz they dont want salvage title cars
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:29 AM

What about home built, I'm thinking of doing this to my s10 cause its going to be completly new and different
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 04:24 PM

Well since I work at a yard guess what I have. My jeep even came from there. My wife's car I had 6k in a car that would set on the carlot for 13,900 at the time. I can still get most of my money right now if I sell it and we've had it 5 years. Just make sure the repairs are done right. Thats the key. Beyond that go save some money.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
And Drey.......a lebaron??? Those aren't worth .10 one way or another. You can't sell a non popular car with no resale value and expect it to be easier.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 06:52 PM

there sort of common around here, the most common covertables anyway, but hes put 2 trannys in it, and all new struts too [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] sliding sideways down streets when its dry out isnt exactly smart
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 07:31 AM

blah blah blah just testing.Von Warner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode