eliminating the torsion bars??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Nissan, All Disscusion of Nissan, Off-Road Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

eliminating the torsion bars???

Had an idea a while back, and wanted to run it by some of you, do you think it would be possible ( I know anythings possible) what I mean is would it work, to eliminate the torsion bars and remove the front shocks, and in there place mount a coil over shock, mounted from the lower control arm to a reinforced upper shock mount, therefore using the coil to provide the lift(ride height) and the shock to dampen the ride, sort of how the toy tacoma is?????

TONY(HARDBODY)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: eliminating the torsion bars???

I had the same idea. The Toyota Tacomma does have coilovers and the aftermarket makes coilovers for more lift on the Tacoma. I think the problem still goes back to the upper a-arms hitting the bump stops. If you possibly made the a-arms upper and lower longer you could get more lift since the a-arms are angled more. Or if the a-arms were longer even at the stock angle you automatically get more lift due to length. This works better on a 2wd since on a 4wd you have cv-joint angle to deal with. Mounting a coil over conversion could probably be done if you used a shock mount setup similar to solid axles 4wd's. Something to consider if you have the money and time to invest in research and development or a welder.

'89 2wd p/u V6 5-speed longbed heavy duty model
If I only had a 4wd
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can see you putting coils on a 2wd but not a 4wd. Coils would cause interference with the cv joints. And if you are planning on coiling a 4wd a straight axle woulds probably be easier. You could then use coils out of most any vehicle.

KXT
http://www.geocities.com/elmatto

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree that it would only be practical for the 2WD. While you could get around the CV joints and even the axle shaft itself, you won't gain any more travel unless you replaced the A-arms with longer versions. This would be impractical on the 4WD because you would have to lenthen the axles shafts or create new mounts inboard of the existing ones (even more expensive).

Rockjaw
<font color=red>89 Nissan KingCab 4x4</font color=red>

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't be concerned with getting a lot of lift out of the coil over, just getting rid of the bars would be enough for me, and I understand about the interference with the cv axle on the 4wd but how did they do it on the tacoma's? Have to check out a tacoma at work to see how they set it up.

TONY(HARDBODY)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The lower shock mount is terribly flimsy on the lower control arm. This probably would not support the weight of the front end, and the control arm itself is not designed to either really. All the weight is supported mainly by the bars themselves. Im guessing a new reinforeced lower arm would have to be constructed, and also the alignment (camber especially) relies on the height of the bars. Dont know if the alignment would work out. Its an interesting concept, and would love to see it happen. But routing it around the CV, paying for the shock/coil setup, and fabbing a new lower control arm, and worry about alignment..might be less to do a solid axle. Just depends on your acess to either axles or fab shops! Either way..more lift! And Im always for more lift!

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]
http://hometown.aol.com/path26/myhomepage/index.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have had the same daydream and have already made a parts request but would probobly need to revise it. Change the upper control arms to Fabtech so there is enough room for the coils to go through the A-arm. Custom build an upper strut mount for the coil/shock mount. Reenforce the lower mount to handle the stress. The coils are available through Summit, HAL coils. They are ajustable in ride hight and dampening/rebound. This would eliminate the low hung torsion bars after the Trailmaster 4" kit. If anyone has other inputs I am all ears. I have full intention of persuing this upgrade after the Christmas crazys.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You guy's might want to checkout some of the chevy s-10 sites etc, there's coil-over replacement kits for those also...??? If I remember right they all use the drop-spindal set-ups... Could be wrong though, it's happend before!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

"My Drinking Team Has A Rockcrawling Problem"

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 06:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glad you brought up the idea of a upper strut mount cause I just happen to have a set of dual shock hoops sitting down my dad's basement, brand new never been used.....

TONY(HARDBODY)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 08:35 PM
jpvm

Do you agree guys ? This BBS without Chris would be like attending a Bridge tournament instead of a week in Moab...

JP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=red>You gonna do something or are you gonna stand there and bleed?</font color=red>
http://www.geocities.com/jpvmlichttotobal/jpvm4x4.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode