interesting nissan trans failure theory - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Nissan, All Disscusion of Nissan, Off-Road Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

interesting nissan trans failure theory

I have a theory that a freind of mine (who is probably one of the best transmission repair men in our state) shared with me. Nissan pathfinder and pick up transmissions have a problem with input bearing failures. What my freind believes is happening is that since there is a factory service requirement to silicone the trans bellhousing to the engine, which is how it comes from the factory, the bellhousing is somewhat electrically insulated from the engine through its case, causing the travel of any electrical current that is moving to ground to travel through the input shaft of the trans, from the engine pilot bearing, through the input bearing of the trans, causing small weld pits on the bearing surfaces as the grounding current jumps the gaps between the input bearing's races and balls. The result is early bearing failure which leads to more extensive damage if the bearing isn't caught in time. The trans shop my freind works at now runs a ground strap between the trans and the engine and trans case and chasis, as well as checks to see if other ground straps are in place such as the engine to chasis. And even though this is just a theory , I find it quite possible, and running a couple extra ground wires is easy enough to do and may save your trans down the road.
Dan Pawlak, [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 04:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: interesting nissan trans failure theory

Well being that I had the auto trans in my 87 SE-V6 rebuilt 2 1/2 times so far, and the truck is sitting out in the parking lot waiting for me to get some money to have rebuilt for the THIRD time I would say there might be a slight problem somewhere with the nissan auto trans. Maybe what you described is what happened to mine 25,000 miles ago when I completely wiped out all the splines on the input shaft!! I don't know it could just be who rebuilt it, Now let's see $2200 the first time $1400 the 2nd and $1300-1400 this time coming up. Hmmmm,$4900-$5000 spent could have had a nice down payment on (sorry about this) a Toyota tacoma, I'll tell ya IF (that's a big if) IF I ever sell my truck I can tell you right now I'd Never Buy another Nissan!

TONY(HARDBODY)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Tony, nice to hear that I´m not the only Nissan Auto Tranny damaged here. Mine went out with a 100k Miles on it. No Workshop, not even the Tranny rebuilders here in Germany touching a Nissan Trans. Three Nissan Dealers told me they only change and will never touch these Trannies. And yes there´s a big problem with the Auto´s of the Path and they know it!!!! The Bands wear out every 100k Miles, it cost me 2000$ to get a used Tranny in my Truck, a new one would cost around 3500 Bucks...........

http://home.off-road.com/~karsten
....could somebody PLEASE stop me hittin` these rocks....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I should have spent the extra $1000 the first time my tranny went out, my local dealer (who sold me everything for there cost) gave me a price of $3300 maybe the tranny would have lasted longer than it did. Like I said in the other post I had my trans rebuilt less than 25,000 miles ago!!! That's ridiculous so it must have something to do with who's doing the rebuild. Someone that specializes in nissan and toyota down here in florida told me one day that even if you rebuild the nissan tranny to all factory specs that after a short time the tranny will start having problems again, he said what they do (as far as with the 300zx's) is try to find a low mileage tranny to replace the bad one with. But like I try to tell everyone who tells me to get a tranny from a wrecking yard is well try to find one!!! They only used my tranny in one year and only in the truck and pathfinder. when they went to the new body style (D21) in 86 1/2 the only engine available was the 4 cyl, diff. tranny, than in 88 they went to an OD tranny, which is also diff, so my tranny was only used for one year 1987, so try to find a decent one used, plus with low miles---NO WAY!, As we all know with the amounts of money we have into our trucks it's really not worth it to sell it (my truck) tranny fixed or not cause I'd lose money. Plus I just put a new (used ) low mileage engine in it not to long ago, sorry such a long post

TONY(HARDBODY)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 03:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You are right on the 300ZX. Everyone just tries to find a low mileage used one (they last longer than the rebuilt ones). Just goes to show you how well built the factory ones are (even if it is a flawed design). Also, if you don't have a transmission cooler for the automatic - get one now!!! It will significatly increase your transmission life.

Rockjaw
<font color=red>89 Nissan KingCab 4x4</font color=red>

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 06:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The first time the trans was rebuilt I had a big tranny cooler added I also have a autometer tran temp gauge in line so I know what the temp is all the time but still.... going on third rebuild

TONY(HARDBODY)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 06:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My truck doesn't have quite the mileage some of you got(76,000) and the trans hasn't failed me yet. But it sure has scared me a few times. Ever once in a while it jerks really bad. I have taken it to dealerships but they said they cannot reproduce what I describe(go figure) Anyways, if and when it fails what would you recommend doing, a different type of trans?

Matt
<font color=green>"What's this lever do?"</font color=green>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 07:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the standard is a much better tranny. I have 160,000 on mine and besides a little grinding here and some whine in 1, 2,3,5, gears no problems or failure yet.

<font color=red>Harvenger </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] 93 Nissan Xcab 4wd V-6 161,000 miles
93 Pathfinder 4wd V-6 70,000 miles
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 12:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, my manual tranny died at 196,000 miles and it would have lasted longer had I put the correct oil in it (wasn't paying attention). It wasn't going to last ALOT longer as you could tell it was getting old but I'm sure it would have lasted another 10,000 miles at least. For the record, some Redline MT-90 gear oil would probably cure some of (if not all of) your grind and whine, Harvenger. I have found it to be amazing stuff.

Rockjaw
<font color=red>89 Nissan KingCab 4x4</font color=red>

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is this problem common to all years? I've got a 95 with the TX-10 auto trans and I've had no problems yet (60K). I did switch over to Amsoil synthetic at about 45k though I'm not sure I noticed any major difference. I'd consider switching to a manual but its probably too expensive to be a realistic option.

Brian Oberle
95 Pathfinder XE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode