vibration - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Nissan, All Disscusion of Nissan, Off-Road Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

vibration

84 7204wd, i replaced all of the front end components recently and had it aligned, about two weeks after this a really bad vibration started around 55 and seemed to die down a little at 65. so i had the tires balanced and now the vibration seems to come on earlier(50) and dies off some around 65. all of the front end components seem to be fine, although the dust boots on the upper ball joints have torn off, but i think this might be because they were cheap parts (used moog on the bottom and their fine). when i jack the front wheels up they spin freely and make no noise and aren't loose. but the weird thing is that some times around 45-50 when im making a right turn the vibration comes on more severely than other times, but at 65 and i make the same turn the vibration doesn't change at all. the rear driveshaft had a bad ujoint before the vibration so after the vibration i changed it (because it was getting pretty bad,)but the new joint had no effect on the vibration. the vibration hasn't become any worse since it started a month ago. so could bad alignment do this, or possibly the wheel bearings are to tight, when i packed and put them on i wasn't sure of how to adjust them so i just tightened them until there was no play in the wheel. this is the last problem i have with this truck and want to kill it before something else happens, any comments appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: vibration

Do you feel the vibration thru the steering wheel or does it feel like the seast is moving? The steering wheel would indicate the problem is in the front, a shake felt thru the seat or the whole truck would point to something in the rear. Are your front wheels straight? You can try rotating the tires and see if the shake/vibration moves from the steering wheel to the seat or vice/versa. I've seen vibrations occur from when tires are mounted and something falls into the tire, or sometimes people use that fix-a-flat garbage which would knock the balance out. Does your truck pull at all with or without stepping on the brakes? A bad caliper or warped rotor could cause a vibration also, Lastly make sure the truck is not in 4wd or the hubs are locked. Hope this helps you out.

TONY(HARDBODY)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 07:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Had almost the same problem. Turned out the slip joint on the rear drive shaft was worn out. Had a new drive shaft made, and 90% of my shaking and vibration went away. Got new tires and drove like a new truck. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 12:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd say steering damper if you don't have and also what kind of tires are you running, that would be another good place to start a.k.a. the balance and possibly even the rim's balance as well?

"My Drinking Team Has A Rockcrawling Problem"

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 07:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ive had vibration problems with mine in the past too, usually from funky tire wear (inside wore faster than the outside). Check your driveshaft balancing too, and make sure your rotors arent warped...

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]
http://hometown.aol.com/path26/myhomepage/index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sounds like a seperated tire to me.

<font color=red>Harvenger </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] 93 Nissan Xcab 4wd V-6 161,000 miles
93 Pathfinder 4wd V-6 70,000 miles
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how do you tell if the slip joint is bad?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the vibration does feel like its through the whole truck, it makes sort of a rumbling sound, i had a friend in the back of the bed and he thought it was the driveshaft, because his truck was having the same symptoms, and he replaced the ujoints, but my ujoints are good, but the driveshaft could be out of balance still (the truck always has had some vibration ast high speeds), so how do you check the driveshaft. or maybe my transfer case is loose

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 07:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you think it is the driveshaft, do you have a carrier (center) bearing? If you have a two-piece driveshaft (KingCab and longbed models), check the carrier bearing for excess play. A bad one will give you the exact symtoms that you have described.

Rockjaw
<font color=red>89 Nissan KingCab 4x4</font color=red>

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 09:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The slip joint will move very easily, mine would wooble with any movement. If you can grab the drive shaft at the slip -- and push it length wise --if it clicks or twists, that baby is toast. Mine ran about 2 bones, but I had new ends and slip added, (don't beleive it's your xfer case). The Nissan joints are a pain to change, new ones are Dana(?) and far stronger. If you looked at my bio --82 Datsun/Nissan, -- Yea I know Ugle, Old, But -- Paid for cruise control, air, 280Z tranny(gutts), electric buckets, light sun visors, 12 pack cd changer, made my own front suspension lift -- and just added power steering -- after re arranging a dog (sorry). have any other questions email me direct. Hope some were in this mess is some help for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode