need a cb - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Nissan, All Disscusion of Nissan, Off-Road Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

need a cb

i need a cb with 5 mile or less range, i do not need one of those trucker ones, just an inexpensive one that works well. does anyone have that? or do you all have the trucker ones? I know the antenna is a big deal, and recomendations? would i be best just going with the "radio shack special"

doug

"If the devil is 6, then god is 7, this monkey's gone to heaven!"
93 Hardbody (4x4 with a street truck look)
93 Maxima (new paint job, getting sexier...)
69 VW Beetle (gotta respect it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 09:50 PM
SteelyDel

Re: need a cb

Got one for you, it's a set of hand held CB(walkie talkie type) used once from Alaska to San Diego.
It's made by Midland and can be run with 8 AA batteries or plug it into the lighter. It's still in it's original box.
E-mail me [email protected]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 11:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have some of those, but i am looking for the real cb. I have moterola talk abouts. sorry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 07:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well if you are looking for a small cb, with mid range power, then I suggest Radio Shack. The one in Brattleboro has a good selection, ad the guy who runs it knows his stuff. The others, Claremont, and west Lebanon also have a reasonable selection, but I dopon'r like the people as much.

<font color=red> Tim</font color=red>
<font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Going Solid,Going, Going...... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[email protected]
FAREAST4x4.com
</font color=green>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks, i fugred radio shack would be the place to go.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 07:24 PM
mudmonkey

well i got mine at wal mart for 30 buck and it works just fine . i got about 7 miles on a good clear nite but for the most part about 4 or 5 miles is all i get .

Darryl Myers
[email protected]
88' Pathfinder
Help i'm stuck , Oh wait i fogot i have a nissan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 02:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can pretty much sit hear til' the cows come home listenening to all the different options etc, but until you have an idea as to what exactly your looking for as far as options, upgrades etc all these options will be pretty much useless to ya. Do you want RF Gain, Squelch, Side-Ban, Weather-Ban, Local-Switch, PA sytem, etc, etc. Antenna's try to get something tunable for better results.. IMHO

Heres some CB sites and info to help you make up your mind... And oh yeah mines a Midland.. Hahahahahaa [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/autos/4...subcbsites.htm
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...ng/antenna.htm
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...eading/swr.htm
http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/antenna/BellAntenna.htm
http://www.radioshack.com/ProductCat...00_000,00.html

"My Drinking Team Has A Rockcrawling Problem"

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 01:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

DAMN,
-----Knew the link-o-matic would respond sooner or later:-> I use a cobra 148GTL-ST, but for only a 5-mile range, just about any decent 40-channel will work in open terrain. In areas of high electrical interference (like in the city), or extremely mountainous terrain, you'll be lucky to get 2 miles out of most AM-band CB's, but significantly more on a single side band (SSB) radio. I live in Northern Kalyfornia and when the weather's just right (when skip's 'rollin) I can talk to Nova Scotia (some chunk of dirt of the coast of Maine:-) You're range is definately determined by your antenna, so don't skimp there. I use a 48 inch tunable whip on my truck, but if you want REAL range, a linear is the only way to go. For more info than you could possibly EVER use, visit www.geocities.com/southbeach/strand/3776/cbpage.

P.S.-A decent,cheap 40-channel cb is the cobra 19dx-I think it goes for about $45 in my neck of the woods.

MILDOT

NISSAN IFS SUCKS
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want to really reach out and touch someone, visit the CB shop at a truck stop. They can do wats called a "peak and tune" (or tweak and tune) which can really let you transmit some power. Better still, there are other mods that they can do for you. Mind you, officially, its illegal to run with anything over 4 watts. That said, for just about every CB but mine (Cobra 75WX ST all inthe mike unit) there are tweaks on the web that tell you exactly what to adjust or replace. (Naturally these sites post the information only for academic perposes)HEHHEHHEH
Do be sure to get a gooood antenna and if you can wire it to your radio with RG-8 co-ax, more sheilding, less resistance heavy duty stuff!
As for really getting 5 miles...well, only in open country, you're lucky to get 2 in the hills/Mts

Brian Oberle
95 Pathfinder XE
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hahahaha, you couldn't expect anything less though now could you? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Back to CB's Mildot spilled the goods, unless your planning on a two-way radio, ham radio or trunking your CB you'll always get squashed by the "New Canadian / American" truckers etc who are trucked.... Amps really don't make much of a difference either, unless you go with a minimun 400 - 500 watts, but even then good-luck trying to find somewhere out of the way to mount it in a Nissan and also add to the fack most amplifiers that size are not self cooling so you'll also need a fan for it. The most popular CB's I've noticed are Cobra 19's - 25's, Midlands because they're good size for in-dash mounting, Realistic (radio-shack) have been getting allot better these past couple years for small mobile units that is.... All in all just pick out something that has the size you want, RF-Gain, Squelch, Emergency Ban Switch and even a mic-gain isn't a bad idea, all for around $75.00 - 150.00 and then a good antenna (tuneable) and your set!!!
Also one other thing to keep in mind, unless the radio you buy is set-up for a dual antenna system, don't bother running dual antenna's so they match, they only cancel each other out if not mounted at least 7.5 feet apart....

"My Drinking Team Has A Rockcrawling Problem"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode