Off Roading Forums banner

It's expensive to stop (hurts too!!)

741 views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
It\'s expensive to stop (hurts too!!)

The time has come for me to replace front brake pads. After a not too pleasant experiance (read: noisey and short life span) with aftermarket pads (my last set) I decided to go with OEM pads and maybe avoid the howling front end syndrom (the trucks, not mine) Well, a phone call to the local Nissan dealer bout knocked me on me arse... $79.00 for front brake pads!!! Holy ****te Muslum!!! Well, that would just not do, I remembered that Automotive Customizers had them priced at about $49.00 (original Nissan they said) and to hell if they are slow to ship. Anyway, called them and they quoted me a price of $75.00. Once again rising off the floor I asked why their price listing stated that they were $49.00. Seems that Nissan has just recently had an accross the board price increase. I guess increase, don't know what all will be affected but that seems like a pretty substansial increase. Anyway, I bit the bullet and forked over the money for the OEM from AC.
Any other aftermarket brands that are not noisey and preform well??? Now might be a good time to share whatever experiances others have had going aftermarket (I will have to admit that my original OEM pads did work good, had a good life span and were quiet)

Ummmm Beer!

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Re: It\'s expensive to stop (hurts too!!)

Scott I run Napa lifetimes. No noise or sqeaks or nothing and that is without maching the rotors, just slamming the pads and going.

Harvenger /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif 93 Nissan Xcab 4wd V-6 158,000 miles
93 Pathfinder 4wd V-6 68,000 miles

G
#4 ·

well when i need pads i just get them from what ever parts house is closes. i have had pads from Advance, Auto zone , napa, right now i am running some from advance with a lifetime warenty which is cool becouse when they were out they replace them for free so works for me buy pads once and then dont have to againg. i know that they do this becouse have run them on my wife car since 97 and they have replaced them twice for free no questions asked just told they i have th4e warenty and the give the new ones and say have a nice day.well that is my experince with aftermarket pads.

Darryl Myers
forgot@bellsouth.net
88' Pathfinder
Help i'm stuck , Oh wait i fogot i have a nissan

#5 ·

You should all know my opinion by now....
Who needs Brakes?
Those pedestrians should have waited until you passed to cross the street!!!
I hope I never have a brake problem I have to ask about since I will probably have this stuff quoted and sent back to me.
Lator...

The Uglier The Tire, The Better The Truck Looks!!!!

#6 ·

I made the mistake of buying the cheap ones once from the local "discount" auto place (was All-Car, now bought out by Checker which was an improvement for them, if that gives you any idea). They were noisy and useless. I replaced them in less than 10K miles. Like the other guys I got Napa lifetimes which actually are Raybestos. You can't go wrong with Raybestos.

Mike

G
#7 ·

I wished I knew y'all loved rayworstos, I'd given you my old set. These were the worst pads I've ever run on any car-truck. They had far less intial grab and overall braking power. To top it off, they glazed and pad cracked after three months of use.

I went back to the factory pads, from a nissan wholesaler in TX and have been very happy since.

G
#8 ·

Hmmm, mine have always worked great, but I guess like anything, you get what you pay for? Sounds like you got stuck with the $1.49-day ones...??? I know some of the cheaper Raybestos pads are just brutal.

Speaking of brakes, there was a great article in one of the recent 4x4 mags explaining just how ineffective rear drums are when wheeling on decents. Basically explained that the drums didn't do anything for ya, all the stress was directed to the fronts. Now I know why jeeps etc, etc always do such spectacular endo's on the slightest little drop-off's etc, well that and the fact the drivers (IDIOT's) hammer on the brakes in a panic instead of letting the vehicle roll out off the decent / drop or pitch whatever you want to call it! Just thought it was interesting as I have never off-roaded with a vehicle equiped with drum brakes! And Never Will! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

"My Drinking Team Has A Rockcrawling Problem"

G
#9 ·

i too am in the market for pads, and i got less that 10K out of mine, like 8k or something like that, i was not happy to say the least. Pathaholic, what is the name of the wholesaler?

Doug

"If the devil is 6, then god is 7, this monkey's gone to heaven!"
93 Hardbody (4x4 with a street truck look)
93 Maxima (new paint job, getting sexier...)
69 VW Beetle (gotta respect it)

G
#10 ·

I was getting the same prices from the Dealers out here until I contacted Culver City Nissan in Culver City CA (a city surrounded by Los Angeles) They said they had 2 types, imported at $75 and Nissan USA..........$35. I went there and looked at them, came in a Nissan box and had Nissan stamped on them so I bought them. Dealer claimed the lower price was because they were made here in the USA. They work as well as the old pads so far, about 10,000 miles on 'em.

G
#12 ·

BKinzey, Just curious as to how long ago you purchased these USA manufactured pads. The way I understood it from Automotive Customizers, this price increase just took place very recently. If that is the case I wonder how much they bumped up the $35.00 USA spec pads???

Ummmm Beer!

G
#13 ·

Here' a good head scratcher!! My 97 Pathy has AutoZone Pads and seems to stop well enough, only an occasional squeal when in DRIVE.........but when in reverse it squeals like a cat on fire!! Whats up with that???? The front pads have about 5k on them and I checked the rears before a 2300 mile vacation and they were fine. Any thoughts?

Later Ya'll
Super Dave
West Tennessee
www.realpages.com/adventure4x4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.