Header Install....??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Nissan, All Disscusion of Nissan, Off-Road Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 05:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Header Install....???

Anyone here who has installed headers on their rig, did you also change your exhaust to dual or still retained the single OEM or aftermarket single Cat-back system?

"My Drinking Team Has A Rockcrawling Problem"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Header Install....???

Im running the pacesetters, high flow (gutted) cat and magnaflow muffler all on the factory 2 1/4" tubing. Single exit of course. If you go any higher in diameter (or duals for that matter) you probably wont have enough backpressure. Have to keep a little to keep things running right. I would say you will be in great shape, Borla, high flow (or lack thereof) cat, and your headers. Stick with what you have...or thats just my humble opinion!

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]
http://hometown.aol.com/path26/myhomepage/index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 06:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Awesome, thanks Wade!

I was starting to remember something about the difference between running the Dual as apposed to the standard Single, but just couldn't remeber the details as to which was more effective!

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought of going duals myself..but I decided the backpressure would be history if I did. And it would cost a fair amount to do versus a single exit (especially in the factory location..lol). I would bet your setup after your header install will be perfect (well, exhaust anyways.. )! I strongly suggest driving your truck about 75 or so miles, and re-tourqing the studs. Just to make sure those lil' buggers dont get loose on you. You going to install em, or is a shop going to? I let my local exhaust guy do it..cost me 400 bucks, but he did a good job I thought. Oh well..just my thoughts..

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was planning to do it myself, but then I'd have to drive around with open headers for a bit until I could get a muffler shop to weld-up to the exhaust flange..... So It's looking more & more like getting a shop to do it, don't really have the cash to do so with my insurance do this weekend as well! Oh well looks like I'll be skipping a mortgage payment or 12? Hahahaha!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 10:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Chris, I just got my Pacesetters last week and had my local Nissan Dealer (Christainsburg, VA, for those of you who live nearby, they are the most honest car dealership I have ever gone to and do great work) and they only charged my $385.00 for the install which included all new hardened studs and hard wear. Get the high performance nissan gaskets as the ones that came with the headers are junk. Also double up on the gaskets or you'll get a leak like I did. Hope this helps and sorry for the rambling post.

'95 Pathfinder SE-V6
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 10:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just a side note. My buddy just did headers on his ford and he got locking hardware from summit racing that makes it impossisble for the stud to back out. I don't really know how this is accomplished, but I have seen it written on before and it made sense. I don't know if they have it for nissan type stuff, but it's worth a try

Harvenger [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] 93 Nissan Xcab 4wd V-6 158,000 miles
93 Pathfinder 4wd V-6 68,000 miles
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tojo is right..I used the pacesetter gaskets, and Im beginning to worry about them. Definitely use another type of gasket. The nissan ones are extremely good!

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have seen them somewhere for the Nissan V6..try summit and see. Seemed like a good investment to me too. I found out about them AFTER instaling my headers..oh well, always next time. And Tojo, how did you find out you had a leak. Im beginning to wonder about mine, but they dont sound any different really. Any good ideas?

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was lucky (or unlucky depending on our you look at it) and had a bad leak. it was loud. but intermitent. when it was cold you could barely hear it but after it warmed up it got loud and a little sluggish. when it's quiet, though you can barely hear it so if you have a leak you might not even notice it. just listen for a slight ticking coming from either of the heads. listen under the hood that is and just give it a enough gas to barely change rpm's. the increase in volume of the ticking should be more then the increase in volume of the rest of the engine. and if all i've done is confuse you, then take it to a shop you trust and have them listen to it. they should be able to tell you in a heartbeat. i'll go out on a limb and say that if you don't hear a leak then you don't have one. hope i've helped more the confused.

'95 Pathfinder SE-V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode