"old school" monster trucks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2000, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\"old school\" monster trucks

I ran across a deal on some old school mud/monster truck stuff. 18.4 x 36 rice and cane tires, 2.5 ton military axles, plus extra parts (extra axles, gears, lockers). I don't plan on racing...just playing. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? How much gear will it take to turn these tires (lugs are about 4" tall)? I have a SM465 and NP205...will this be enough? I have heard about people running two transmissions on swamp buggies (not the ones they race on TNN), has anyone ever seen this in person? My guess is that they cut down/re-splined the input shaft of the second trans to accept a yoke. ....kinda thinkin about putting a shorty powerglide in front of the four speed. ANY comments?....or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2000, 01:44 AM

Re: \"old school\" monster trucks

Seems with gear that big (and tires like you described) I'd hope you at least have a 350 Chevy or bigger between the fenders to turn those tires well for any self clean-ability at all, however, a big block is definitely preferred [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Now, it's time for me to sit back and see what the others have to say [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim

My monthly article on ORC
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2000, 10:15 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>I've heard of twin trannies, but fortunately you've got a 1st gear in the neighborhood of 6.5:1 & it's likely those 2.5 ton rears have 6.xx:1 gearing also. You should be able to spin 48" rice & canes with a V-8 IMO - well enough for a play truck anyway.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the only ratio on 2 1/2 tons is 6;72 ;1 you can change the planetary hubs to lower it another 3;1

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We are building a Jeep at our shop which will have these same axles. Does anyone have any idea as to the weight of these axles???

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

REAL heavy, I hurt for months after wrestling them onto the trailer. If you get rid of the drum brakes, you lighten things up quite a bit.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 12:59 PM

I think the 2.5 tons are around 250 lbs., give or take a bit.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

640 pounds once you remove the brake drums... And yes they spin 54 inch tires nicely
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The ones I bought have a funky birfield type joint on the front axles instead of u-joints. Are these things very strong? Can they handle a locker up front? ...or do I need to leave it open?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 01:26 AM

----I think the 2.5 tons are around 250 lbs., give or take a bit-----

the rockwells i believe are right around 720 lbs with everything on. thats what boyce said when i asked about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode