Cam lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 08:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cam lift

Is an Edelbrock Performer Rpm cam with .488 lift too racey for my 78' 350 which I like to drive to work, hunt offroad, and mudrace? My buddy just put it in his camaro dragster and it threw a rod. Only messed up the lifters at that cylinder and said he'd give the cam to me for $50 bucks. What is the biggest cam I can go to and still have the vacumn for my brakes and be a decent daily driver?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2000, 09:18 AM
TEX

Re: Cam lift

<font color=purple>This is the exact cam I have in my racer, so I think I can comment here [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Personally, this is on the upper end of what I'd consider for a daily driver. It will definitely have some rumpety rumpety to it & should be paired with the Performer RPM intake and some decent heads for best results. Vacuum, I'm not sure. If I had to guess, you'd be pulling somewhere between 13-16" vacuum (again, strictly a GUESS) with this cam at idle - should idle around 1,100.

You really should be regeared and/or running a bit of stall (~2k-2,400) with an automatic, but might be able to get away with it in a stick truck if you're geared low (you have 3.08's right? - not so good for this).

This is a healthy cam. With the right intake, carb, & heads, a 9.5:1 350 will put out 420HP with this cam. That's pretty damn mean for a street-driven truck IMO. If it were me, I'd do it if I had something else to drive. But, if it were my only truck, I think I'd be looking at the Performer cam & intake instead of the Performer RPM.

BTW, for anyone else with an opinion, the full specs on this cam are:

234/244, .488/.510.

</font color=purple>TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stick with performer rpm manifold. Performer manifold is a flowerpot. Best results 268 to 276 or even 280 on camshaft suggestions for comshaft - compcams or crowler baha beast or hot streak beast with manifold. 268H to 280 in comp cams or anyother shaft good choice. Lobe center and se[eration to vast to discuss but stay within these numbers. Will work well with limited gear ratio and basic stock motor without mods if want something more specific must give me all info on vehicle and I will give you info back. Must have gear ratio, tire size and exaust system specs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2000, 02:46 PM
Pooh-Bah

Concur, good cam! Use the Performer RPM manifold. And headers of course. The stock springs will work, but I recommend some fresh and a little stronger. Try the TRW Z-28 spring, VS-1008 I think? They are perfect for that cam and cheap too. I paid $30 for 16.
Try some Rhoads lifters too.

Chevota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode