New to mud racin.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 12:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New to mud racin....

Hey everybody, how's everybody doin?
Well I have allways loved playin in the mud, and once I got my jeep I loved it even more. But now I have a Willys Wagon Delivery sittin at home, and I've decided I want to mud race it, now that looks like some fun, and I was curious if you guys could tell me about suspension requirements, axels, engines (I planned on goin with a 472 hemi [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )....

Thanks a lot for any help.....

Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ 4.5in. RE Ext. Duty
'57/49 Willys Wagon Delivery 4x4 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 10:16 AM
TEX

Re: New to mud racin....

<font color=purple>First things first, head out to some local events & get copies of the rules. Then, check out this link: GUMBO's Sanctioning Body Links & check through some of the rules. You'll start to see some patterns. Are you planning mud "drags", or "bogs"? The setups are completely different for each - including tires & to a lesser extent, suspension.

Generally speaking, you'll want to stay away from 4-links & such as that will likely move you up into a higher class than a leaf-spring suspension, but it just depends on where you plan to race. For "bogs", run the largest allowed Swampers up front with matching size Boggers in the rear. If there is no Bogger in that size (say you want to run a 36" class), run Swampers front & rear. Do NOT drop down a size in order to run Boggers in deep mud (i.e. 35's in the 36" class). HEIGHT is where it's at! For "drags", you'll want 38.5X11 Boggers at all four corners (get 15" or 16" rims either way you go as you won't be able to air down your tires on 16.5" rims). For "bogs", I normally run 8-15 lbs of air up front & 5-10 in back depending on how rough it looks (more air for rough, less for smooth), & for "drags" ~5 lbs in front & 3-5 lbs in the rear. Your front & rear axle will not be the same width. The rear is narrower. For drags, this can be a big problem. To compensate, you'll need different wheel backspacing in order to get your rears to line up directly behind the fronts.

Not sure how much help this'll be, but maybe it'll get ya going in the right direction. Welcome to the world's most addictive sport! </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 12:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK suspension wise, what can I do to an old Willys frame [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] (I plan on fully boxing the frame, and adding more support), put on Chevy springs? I'm just getting into the welding and really technical part of cars, I've most just bolted on aftermarket parts on engines, and done some wiring, lifted my jeep (complete kit though, and had Olympic Offroad do the breaks and S.Y. Eliminator kit), and done a little carb work, nothing to technically intensive though... so how would I go about lifting it? lol.... I'd really like to do it myself....

<center>
Ohhh yeah and here's a pic of my <font color=red> Red </font color=red> Willys Wagon Delivery....

</center>

Thanks a lot everybody... and thanks for replyin Tex, it was really helpful, thank you.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 08:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as the lift, i would say it depends on your tire size. if you can get away with cutting the fenders and clearing the tires, go with as little lift as you can get. but one advantage of a tall lift is it gets the body out of the deep mud, hence less drag. but a disadvantage is it is alot more top heavy and can get squirly when driven very fast. Big tires means many broken parts. team that with a big motor and you are going to be breaking parts real regular. instead of a super big, hot motor for pit racing concentrate on gearing. In the pit truck i was running i used 5:13gears with 35 boggers! If you go bigger than that go for the 5:89gears. As far as chevy springs, they are cheaper, easier to find and a lot more parts available. Run an automatic tranny. get a bulletproof [bullets] transfer case for deep mud running. My advice is to run disc brakes all the way around. they stop better when filled with mud. these are just general guidelines and i hope they help.

giveus some more specifics about what you are planning on running so we can give you more details.

and TEX, this sport is very addictive!!!!!!!!!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was thinking I'd like to run 44's, might as well get the biggest w/o being in the tractor levels, 2 1/2 ton axles (would a ATC-250 2 ton transfer case and matching drivelines work out good?), a 472 mopar hemi crate engine not sure what trany (what trany's are good for muddin, and that much hp and tq?), and the suspension is undecided.....

Thanks a lot again guys.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ 4.5in. RE Ext. Duty
'57/49 Willys Wagon Delivery 4x4 350
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 10:06 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Nice ride. Friend of mine did exactly what you said with their Willy's. Boxed the frame & used Chevy springs. Not sure exactly how he went about it, but if you still have the Feb. 1992 issue of Off-Road, it's on the cover & there's a story inside. Not much help, I know.

Now, on to that drivetrain. FORGET THOSE 2 1/2 TONS!!! Even though you're apparently planning to run deep pits, this is still called mud RACING. You'll just be adding completely unnecessary weight & heft, and it'll do nothing to improve your performance. If you're sold on 44's, you want a Dana 60 front with a Dana 60, Dana 70, or GM 14-Bolt rear. You should back that Hemi up with a 727, but don't go too high on the stall - maybe as much as 2,800-3,200 at most. Deep pits & big stalls (small converters) don't get along well at all. If you were planning shallow drags, you could get away with a lot more stall however. You should back that 727 with an NP205 transfer case. I'd suggest a lighter one (and a Dana 44 front axle) if not for the 44" tires you plan to run. Put one carb on your engine as twin carbs will bump you up a class most places you go. As to your 44's, you'll want to run Super Swamper TSL's up front with Boggers in the back. Do NOT run 16.5" rims. Get some 8-lug 15" wheels, or "wide 5" 15" rims. Trust me on this one, you will be glad you're not running 16.5's. As to gearing, I think Mongoose may be a bit too low on his suggestions, but it depends on the power range of that engine & the final weight of the vehicle. He might be dead on. I was thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.13 or 5.38 (since you have a big-block) running second gear in the tranny, low-range in the T-case.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode