Big tire tread life... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2000, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Big tire tread life...

While this isn't directly realated, I figured you guys are probably the experts...besides the mud bogging i've watched looks pretty fun and addictive...More Power

Background: I'm building up a 68 M715 jeep truck, eventually will have; 350 SB (while a BB would be nice I have to think in terms of miles/gallon, not gallons/mile, sm465 or TH350 or TH400??, np 205, 39-40" tires, stock axles(dana60/70) w/5.87 gears, ~8,000lb truck

Does anyone know what kind of milage you can get out of some of the big tires? I've heard you can get ~20k out of SS TSL...True? I know one guy locally that goes through almost 2 sets a year, but his truck is a daily driver... How about gumbo mudders or ground hawgs? are there other big tire choices out there?

I'm going to run a 39-40 tire on the truck, keep in mind if I wanted I could run the 38x11 TSL bogger stock, no lift stock tires are a 34.5" (actual height) non-directional military tire.

Any thoughts would be great...

Thanks!
Luke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2000, 04:49 PM
TEX

Re: Big tire tread life...

<font color=purple>Sorry nobody has responded yet. Most of us trailer our racers. Keeps the tires from EVER wearing out[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2000, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey if this helps,got my truck lifted in nov99,have around 5,ooo miles and they are about half way gone,but I havent rotated them once,my fault.Interco(makers of super swamper tires) says to get max wear you need to rotate them ever 1,ooo miles and pay strict attention to air pressure.
Not sure if you are talking about thr SSR TSL,if you are the biggest size they make currently is 35".but thornbirds are now availiable in the 38" size,now alot of people say these tires wear fast,hydroplane in rain,suck in mud and sand,but my boy has a set of 35" and they absolutely rip,he has gone everywhere I have and has got at least 20thousand miles on em and still have a quarter of tread left,but they did wear kinda bad due to him never rotating them when he finally did they where way ruff and alot of shimming,Back home my Idaho,my boy had a ford with 35" thornbirds and he would go places in 2 wheel drive where I couldnt get through in 4 wheel drive in my old truck a zr2s-10 with mudders.but I have heard that if you want wear and good mud tire go with the ground hawgs they are like 8 or 10 ply and wear like iron,a post on a nother board said he gets 35-40 thousand miles a set.
<font color=blue>Late
Eric T</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>8"of lift,39.5"TSL's</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2000, 02:37 PM
Veteran

And why are your tires 50% worn out????[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2000, 02:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I f it had any REAL HP.. it'd be spinning all 4... hehehe... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
BJ

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a Choice" RUSH
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2000, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Very nice Picture...no wonder why your tires are worn

Thanks for the info, from everything I've heard I'll be looking
into the Ground hawgs...

Luke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode