Mickey Thompson Claws - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2000, 07:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mickey Thompson Claws

Has anyone seen a set of Claws in action yet? I was really wondering how they perform in the mud and if they clean out well.Also is there any benefit to bias over radial other than strength?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 11:54 AM
TEX

Re: Mickey Thompson Claws

<font color=purple>From what I've read, the Claw's have relatively good road manners, unlike true mud tires like Buckshots, TSL's, and Boggers. But, they're not aggressive enough to be considered for anyone with competition in mind. Benefits of bias over radial other than strength? Not that I'm aware of.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah I think it's probably best to stick with good old TSL's.One more question which do you think would work best for a mainly stock Toyota.
33x12.5 TSL
33x14.5 Bogger
34x9.5/10.5 TSL
33x15.5 TSL SX
I will be trying my hand in the local mudbogs this summer[33and under class] and plan on getting a good set of tires before this.The only tire in that list I'm not to crazy about is the Bogger as this is my daily driver and need to get at least two years out of a set of tires and they also run $2000[CDN]a set up here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My buddy has a set of 33x12.50 Claws on his 96 ext cab Z71. Make a funny high pitch hum on the road. Do fair in the sand, dig in the mud but don't clean out unless it's real wet. I kid him about MT's being rich pretty boy tires but they really look good on his centerline wheels. I am gonna stick with my TSL's and BFG at's. Gonna race with my Power King Supertrac 9x16.00's this weekend. They literally throw the mud out and paw for more. Kinda of like a skinny ON/Off road RVT or Groundhawg. I believe I can win in the mud with'em. Just my 2 cents worth

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 09:27 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Go for the 33X12.50 TSL's in the 33" class. If they use "stamped height", run those on 7-8" rims. If they use "measured height", some 34X9.50's on 8.5's would be fantastic, but might be real borderline on if you'll get in or not. Best shot is the 33X12.50's, and they're probably a more versatile tire overall than any of the rest. And since you don't want the Boggers anyway, that's all the better. They won't work all that great on such a stock truck in competition. I don't even use them on my 340HP Toy. Another option if street is more of a concern would be 33x10.50 TSL radials. Not as good as standard TSL's, but the only radials I'd consider if racing were to be in the plans. </font color=purple>

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah I think 33x12.5 TSL radials will be my choice as the 34x9.5 are a little bit sad looking although they have great lugs.Those Claws are popping up on all the pavemount pounders in town and they aren't as great in person as in the picture.Also I'm not sure if they use stamped height or measured height.Any other tips for a rookie?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 03:08 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Other tips? Pick the fastest gear that you can hold to redline in deep mud & hold your foot on the floor! Most places are using stamped height these days, although the influx of metric sizes starts to make measurements look good again[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].</font color=purple>

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 04:53 PM
RolngThun

My tip, line up in the ruts, stay in the ruts, and stand on it.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2000, 08:23 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Yeah, I'll second that. Use the ruts. I remember way back when (still have the tape from TNN) hearing Army Armstrong cover a Pro Stock class at some Georgia (I think) track. And he just could not understand why the racers would "slow themselves down" by following the ruts made by the previous racers. Kept going over it again and again and again. Army apparently isn't real bright.</font color=purple>

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2000, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i agree with the ruts, but just remember, if you live by the ruts, you can lose by the ruts. sometimes if you can watch the class run, you can somtimes pick a line that is better and not drag on the ruts as bad. if a truck gets real crossed up in the ruts right before you run, you have to have a game plan on what you are going to do. probably my best advice, is watch your class as they run.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode