5ft. Trophy! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2000, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

5ft. Trophy!

I'm going for the 5ft. trophy tonight. It will be my first mud race and I'm very excited. I've got my truck set up how I want it for the most part and now it's time to tear it up. I think I'm going to run in 4-HI put it in 2nd gear and stand on it. It will either go or blow! The "strip" is about 100 yds. and 2ft. deep with some deeper holes depending on the lane. If I keep the tire speed up on my 78'(355cid with 36" swampers, 3.08 gears and 4-speed) I might have a shot. Got my 15,000 lb. snatch strap wrapped around my rear pipe bumper just in case!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2000, 11:16 AM
RolngThun

Re: 5ft. Trophy!

Well? I have been checking back all morning to see if you brought that 5 foot monster home with you. Especailly since my season don't start for better then a month yet.
And a 300 foot track! Wow, that must be flying! We run 180 feet, and by the end I'm ready to let off, I can't imagine trying 300 feet. Our Assocation did run 300 back in the 80's, but that is before my time.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I smoked a late 60's model Chevy with 44's and a strong sounding motor in the first round. That's also when I had lane choice. Seemed everyone who won ran in the right lane. Drew the left lane the second time and a stinkin Bronco II with a tough 302 just pulled ahead of me. He ended up winning the trophy. I could have beat him but I missed a gear and blew a header gasket. Started in 4hi and 2nd gear when I won in the good lane, went to start in 4-low and 2nd in the deep sloppy lane. Had a great hole-shot but whined out pretty fast and tried to row it into 3rd. That's when it revved to about 6500 and started putting. Kinda ticked my off so I hit a hole pretty hard and my brother hit his head on the roof off the cab. He'll wear his seat-belt next time. What can you do to keep header gaskets from leaking?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2000, 08:05 PM
RolngThun

Sounds like you put up a good fight and was compitive.
For header gaskets, I use to soak them in water over night before installing them, old time trick, works, but now I use a high temp RTV, red,copper or black.
I prefer the copper stuff. And tighten the bolts every day for a few days until they have set in. Use the RTV just on the header side of the gasket.
If your headers have the solid flange that runs the whole length of the head, and it seems warped, cut the flange between the first and second pipe as well as between the third and fourth pipe. This may make it harder to start the bolts, but will allow it to flatten out when you tighten the bolts.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 09:23 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Hey, congrats '78 Mouse! That's pretty good for a first time out. Now, what did we tell ya 'bout that stick shift[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]!? If you can get off the line in 3rd, you should probably do that, or stick to the high-range gear that worked for ya. SM465's don't speed shift too well, but ya gave it a helluva try![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 07:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys, I got my headers pulled off tonight just before dark. Put new Accel U-groove plugs on while they are off. Might get a accel super coil too. The gasket at the collector looked worse than on the motor. This mud racing stuff is addicting and seems to be all I think about. Next race is for $250.00. Think I'll stay in 4-hi and 2nd and let'er rip!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2000, 09:24 PM
RolngThun

Addicting? You said a mouth full there. I started in stock class 10 years ago, went up to super stock and now open. 3 different racers and more money then I care to add up. And of course the women who didn't share my addiction, or understanding of all the time in the shop and money spent.
But now, Super coil, I don't like them. I have never run one, but I have seen many a guy shut down due to burned up Super coil. The other thing I don't like is the need for a resister with them. The whole idea of electonic ignition is to use full battery voltage to get higher secondary voltage. Now this is of course just my opinion based on what I have experienced. I personally like the MSD coils, less expensive and alot more dependable. I like the vibration resistant one for mud dragging.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode