Mud Trucks/Daily Driver - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mud Trucks/Daily Driver

Hey Guys,
I am going to be getting my license here in July. At least I hope. And I want to build a mud truck. Can you guys help me on decideing on which kind of truck is the best? Or a SUV? And is there any one else out there in Ohio?? I was thinking of a Jeep Truck with a Chevy 350 and Dana 44s on with a Detroit Locker in the rear, in front?? And what kind of lift? Which kind of tire? This will also be used as a daily driver. I know that this is a lot of questions, and I hope that you guys help me.
THanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 08:39 PM
TEX

Re: Mud Trucks/Daily Driver

<font color=purple>Hey, congrats on your entry into our little world. You'll never be the same[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]! Personally, I'd advise against engine and axle swaps. Those can get into serious $$$, which is something you probably don't have a lot of just starting out. And the more modified you make your truck, the more likely you'll break it (and that's MORE $$$). Certainly nothing wrong with your 350 choice. Plentiful & cheap to fix/replace if anything goes wrong. I'd recommend a full-size pickup or SUV. Keep the lift minimal for now. Radial tires up to 33" are fine. I wheeled in a lot of mud (even competition mud races) on 31" Cooper STT radials. I personally like this tire a lot. A bit cheaper than many of the more famous brands & one of the longest-lasting mud tires you can buy. Forget about Swampers. I've owned 4 sets over the past 8 years & drove at MOST 50 pavement miles on all of them combined. They're terrible on the road. Lockers aren't really necessary in the mud, but you can always add one to the rear if $$$ permits. The front should be open or limited slip - no lockers. Personally, I like Blazer/Jimmy's & shortbeds for young blokes like yourself. Much sportier. If you decide you need a long-bed, may as well go for a 3/4 ton for tougher rear axles. One thing about 3/4 tons that you'll hear a lot about is 16" vs. 16.5" tires. The bead-seat on 16.5" rims doesn't allow you to air down tires off-road. But, 16" tires aren't available in many of the popular sizes & tread styles. This may not even be a concern for you. I didn't air down much in the old days as I had to way to air up before heading home. But, if you plan to air down, no 16.5's. Not too specific I know. But, maybe this will be of some help to ya!

Later,</font color=purple>
TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 11:53 PM

My mud beast is a 79 Suburban 4x4 with 454 blah blah... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] If you get something with 3/4-1 ton running gear make sure you get some tires that are taller than 35", which unfortuneately aren't very good at all on the road. The one time I got stuck as a result of my 35's and my 14 bolt full floater rear. What kind of lift depends on what tire size you wish to run, and what vehicle you decide on. Chevy blazer or short bed truck would probably suit your purposes well. If you ever want to go anywhere that the length of the vehicle can be a problem, I'd recommend against the 'burb. However, I really like the added weight that the 'burb gives me. For example when I need to pull anyone out of a stuck, the tires get a lot of contact pressure, which helps for better traction. (Example, Had to pull out a Z71 chevy pickup out of the same spot I got my 'burb stuck several times, and each time I just had to tap the throttle a bit and the big torquey 454 didn't even need to strain itself... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The downside to this beast is that it gets around 2.5-3 mpg when I'm easy on the throttle. Not a good choice for a daily driver, mine only usually went anywhere on weekends, 93 octane is too $$$ for me... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I guess I'm sayin' this just to make sure you realize how serious this stuff is, but please only take the beast off road in approved areas, and don't go leaving parts or junk on the trail or where ever you choose to 'wheel... I know you probably weren't going to be irresponsible anyway, but this stuff is serious, for every irresponsible off roader who just goes and tears up a non-approved area or leaves their trash laying around, there are several environmentalists that start pushing to shut down our sport... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I'm only 20, but the land use issues are important for everyone, not just the old guys... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I like the Cooper STT's (my little truck has a set), I still haven't tried those out in the mud yet, TEX, and I won't for a while, because my Gov-Lok I had in the rear differential I believe decided to destroy itself. Good excuse for a swap, right? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2000, 07:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm tellin' ya man, GO WITH A TOYOTA (screaming at the top of my lungs)!!! I'm only 17 and I bought an '88 Toyota pickup truck with 145,000 miles on it when I turned 16. I've had it for almost two years, put nearly 20,000 miles on it and all I've had to do to it was replace the brake pads. Also try to get an '85 with the solid front axle and fuel injection (the only year that has both these options), although I've been very happy with my IFS (except for sucky wheel travel which does'nt hurt you too bad in most mud). Slap some 31x10.50s on it and have at it. Don't let anybody talk you into one of the earlier V6s, they don't have much more power than the 4 banger, but drink alot more gas; plus, the gearing and light weight more than make up for the weak engine (though it's pretty darn stout and peppy for a 4 banger). I'm speaking from experience here, about a year ago, I bought a CJ-7 with a 350, auto, D44s, SOA, lockers front and rear, 35" tires, and on and on. Anyway, I've had tons of fun in it, but man does it love to drink the cash! I'm selling it right now to go to college. So, get a Toyota and don't look back! You can talk to anybody about their almost scary offroad ability and RELIABILITY.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2000, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with the others. A chevy shortbed is a good truck with a lot of cheap aftermarket parts available. Lifts are inexpensive as long as it is a pre 87 model. Toyotas are also good trucks. But parts are harder to find and generally are more expensive. I've got experience with both vehicles. My race truck is a 1980 Chevy K20 that I bought when I was sixteen and have been modifying it ever since. My current daily driver is a 1990 Chevy sportside. I've also got a 1987 Toyota that I use for trail riding. Mainly what you get should be what you like the best and what suits your needs the most. The chevy gets worse gas mileage but is great in the mud. My toyota will go almost anywhere with 35 inch swampers, 5.29 gears and a welded rear differential(not good on the street). Think about what type of off roading you will be doing. and also how much money on gas you want to spend since it will also be your daily driver.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 02:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to agree on a number of points. Yes a Blazer or a short bed is a dam good start. When just starting out keep it simple, I know visions are going threw your head but those visions cost money.I start out with a 2 inch lift,at this height you still have to address alot of things but not as bad as bigger lifts. You can run a 33x12.50 with a 2 inch(on a full size truck)And this should get you started.Beyond that you can do what most of us did in the beginning, Run it till it breaks then make what broke stronger.After 10 years of wheeling I know what breaks on Chevy trucks so if you have any questions e-mail me.
[email protected]

www.Kansasfourwheeling.8m.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 12:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chevy's and yota's are good if you have the money to spend if not go with suzuki samurai,there not the fastest thing out there but if you were looking for a race car you wouldn't be looking here.Zuks are small and a cheap way to go for your first rig.Suzukis are light weight and with just a small lift say a spoa (spring over axel)that will give you 4 1/2 inchs of lift and you can run 31" tires being so light you can run the swampers and they will last .I know a lot of people that have full size trucks make fun of the zuks but with todays gas prices ,plus they will go any where and for what it will cost you to build it.a Zuk is a good way to go....

QuadZuki,87 spoa,33"wild countrys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-436892-bobbybillydadsgreenmatts.JPG (47.3 KB, 38 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2001, 07:00 PM

Hey are you thinking a jeep truck like a j10? they are geart mud trucks and not that expenisve to build or are you thinking about a swb (short wheel base, wrangler and cj's) jeep? I personally love swb jeeps I've got a 97 wrangler and had a 95 they are great offroad and they have a huge folowing how many chevy jamborees or toyota clubs are there? not many but jeeps have huge folowings and the after market makes everything for them also there are lots of jeep clubs that are great for yougnins like our selfs (I'm 16) that are usually really helpful to the unexperianced wheelers. Ask your question on the swb or fs jeep boards, also in my mind a waggy or j-truck is probably a better start for a wheeling machine snice they have a much beefer drive train and their drive trains are usually swaped into swb jeeps.
BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 08:06 PM
Old Hand

I just turned 17 last month and i have a 97 z71 truck, it took me saving since i was 13 to pay for the lift I got on my truck(6 inch pro-comp, 3 inch body). Now that I have no money to spend i kinda regret dumping all my money into a truck that I hate to see get dented off roading. If I would have gotten a pre-88 chevy with str8 axle i would have been able to enjoy that savings much much more. I have many friends that love their k5 blazers when they go off-roading. Also one of my best friends that had an 88 toyota truck and he had a blast in it with just having a little lift. Personally if I had a choice I would go with a pre-88 chevy and start there, could have spent my money on a 12 inch suspension, 3 inch body, and run 44 inch tsl's. Now that would have been badass. I love my truck and it I spend more time with it than my girlfriend. I am happy with what I have but I still hate getting dents in it or breaking parts while offroading.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 10:30 PM

i have an 88 toyota 4cyl that i love and i go everywhere that my friends go in their full size chevys, broncos and fords, the only one i have trouble keeping up with is the jeep. the only thing i miss is the way they can spin the tires and cut doughnuts, but when it comes to performance you can't beat how light the toyota is and that really helps a lot. the only problem i have is when my friends get stuck bad it is hard to pull them out because they weigh so much more than me. i an running 31x10.50 goodyear mud terrains on 15x10 rims and only rub on the plastic when the wheel is fully turned. the other problem i have is finding a cheap lift. a suspension lift (4") for an 88 is going to run $600 and up and another $500 to install, but the body lift (3") is around $300 installed if you get a toyota i recommend getting between an 82-85 they seem to have a little more power and you can get a suspension lift for around $250-$300 due to the solid front axle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode