Hey Tex - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 03:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Tex

Hey TEX I just gotta ask.
From over at the Toy forum you said that leafs control wheel hop better than coil susps.? I would like some some more info, as I'm about 40% through my rear coil susp mod. This isn't meant to be more than exploratory. if I can control hop better I'd like to know. Like I've added to other posts, I'm learning, and am willing to accept new ideas. But for the life of me, I don't understand how leafs could perform better than a coil settup for wheel hop(which is accentuated buy leaf springs, imho). This isn't play, I'd like to know, as part of my reason of going to coils is to control wheel hop.
Looking for an answer PJL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 08:10 AM
TEX

Re: Hey Tex

<font color=purple>What I've found is that in deeper, thick mud, sometimes the 1/2 ton Fords start hopping up & down on the front. Those being the coil-sprung trucks. Ditto for sand & pea gravel outings. I think the way to control that is with better shock damping & perhaps stiffer coils. For example, a buddy of mine with a stock Ranger had this trouble, but when he went to a Superlift suspension lift, the problem went away. Then, the problem came back when he went to a 44 front & heavier tires. The lift was stiff enough to control the weight of the stock axle & slightly oversized tires better than the stock suspension, but not stiff enough once he went to a heavier frontend & even larger tires.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 06:36 PM
RolngThun

Re: Hey Tex

One problem with the Ford set up, is that it is backwards. With the arms going towards the rear of the truck, the torque will try to lift the tires. If they could be headed towards the front of the truck the applied torque would try to lift the truck, planting the tires. Leafs that are anchored in the front with the shackle in the rear work like this. But even they are prone to wheel hop. Especially with 6 inch blocks in the rear. Wheel hop with leafs is normally due to spring wrap, and can be controlled with some kind of traction bar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode