Tire poll - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 03:48 PM
TEX

Tire poll

<font color=purple>Okay folks, let's hear what tires you run & WHY. Mudracer alluded to this subject in another thread, but I thought it merited it's own topic line. Anyhow, I'd like to hear what all you competitors use.

I'll start.

I'm running Q78 (35.5X11) Super Swamper TSL's. True height 35".

This is a switch from the 38X12.50 TSL's (true height 36.0") that I used to have. Here are the classes I typically run:

Hot Street up to 38.0" stamped height
Street Stock up to 36.5" stamped height
Street Stock up to 37.0" measured height
Street Stock LESS THAN 36.0" stamped height

The second group mentioned used to be 36.0" measured height & their switch to "stamped" height outlawed the 38's. All of the above classes are geared toward "bog" or "pit" style racing with stuck trucks happening frenquently.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the Q78's. With 27/32's of tread depth (compared to 23/32's on my 38's), they really bite HARD. They're only 1/2" shorter than 36" TSL's (typically the tallest tires against which I compete), which only costs me 1/4" of ground clearance. The surprise is that the Q's are outperforming the 38's in deep mud by a small margin. Not a surprise is that the occasional "drag" style pit that I encounter ends up making my truck run MUCH faster (and straighter) than with the wider 38's. And with group #4, they got me out of the 36-44" class & into the UNDER 36.0" class. That was a BIG help[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Okay, who's next?</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 09:34 PM
RolngThun

Re: Tire poll

All our classes are measured height.
Back in the late 80's when we first started our tracks were very deep and 300 feet long. Bigger was better back then. It gets to be a long day when you have over 100 entries running once in each lane, and you have to pull most of them back out. So now we run shallower tracks, 12 to 18 inches of mud, 180 feet long.
The stock guys like the swampers still. 34s for small tire and 36 for big tire.
In super stock a couple go for the taller 38 boggers on the back and 38 swampers on the front. Most seem to like the 35 boggers on the back and either 36 swampers or the Q78 buckshots on the front.
Pro stock guys like cut 35 boggers rear and cut 35 ground hogs front.
I have a set of 35 cut boggers I would like to sell or trade for a set of 39.5 boggers.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 09:41 PM
mudracer

Good idea, TEX.

From my experience, wider is not better in mud drags. Maybe in mud bogs, but not drags. I've seen guys race with big balloons and just slide all over, where skinnies track straight. My theory is that when there is a bottom within reach, the skinny tire will dig down and hook up with it. When I started racing, I went with 33 x 12.5 TSL's. I knew that skinnier worked better, but was young and went for the wide tires' better looks. At the time, we had a 34" and under altered stock class. They worked OK, but wore out quickly since the truck was my daily driver and racer. Next was a set of 34 x 9.5 TSL's which worked great. These also have some of the deepest tread of the swampers. Since I went from a 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton last year, I changed tires again. If it wasn't for changing trucks, I'd still be running the 34's. Now on the 1/2 ton I'm running 34 x 9.5 TSL's on the front and 33 x 14.5 Boggers on the rear. The Boggers work well, but I'd like to try all four 34's on this truck just to see if there's a difference. I could run up to a 36" tire now at most places, but have no reason to switch. If I could go up to 38's, I'd try 38 x 11 Boggers, but I'd probably need a little more lift. Boggers bite, and require HP to make 'em work. If you have a stock or mild motor, stick with TSL's. There are a few guys around who run Buckshots and seem to do real well.

I expect to see some Baja Claws in the mud this year. They appear to be a less aggressive version of a Bogger which may work well on the rear of some trucks.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'84 K20 driver
<font color=orange>'79 K10 mud racer</font color=orange>
'48 CJ-2A trail Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run 44 bogger in the rear on 18 widw wheels
up front i run 40 boggers on 14 wides
the front is able to help keep the front up and out of the mud.
Plus my truck weighs 6500lbs so anything i can find to compensate for that is helpful
david

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 04:37 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Now that's a big truck! Most of the guys around here run TSL's on the front to try to keep the front from digging in when running deep stuff. But, one guy tried this one with mixed results: He ran 39.5" Boggers BACKWARDS on the front to try to get floatation. It sort of seemed to work, but both times he did it he broke an axle. So, he went back to his TSL's.</font color=purple>

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 04:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

on my super mudder dragster special toyota, i run 31" yoko geolander M/T's on the front, and 31" yoko geolander M/T's on the rear[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img], unless i am doing bogs, then i put the rears in the front and the fronts in the rear. that way i get to do more work to my truck.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>TomKlipp<font color=blue>
100% Y2K DEFIANT
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 1988 S-15 4x4 that i use for everything. mud,sand,snow,water,towing......you name it! What Tire would do best for me? i am thinking about some 31x10.5 BFG M/T's. I have 31x10.5x15 Futura Dakota A/t's on there now, but they are not aggressive enough. I am running stock rims now also, which i plan to upgrade to some chrome saw-blade type rims (see photo). i need some opinions here

Later,
MeatLoaf

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Desert/8071/ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: gif 8-182-sierra.gif (28.8 KB, 32 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 09:07 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>I'd say some sort of radial mud tire like the BFG or my personal favorite - the Cooper STT - would be right for you. This is what I used to run when I had trucks that had to "do everything" for me & still do run that style on my tow vehicle. A good radial is the only way to go if pavement is in your plans IMO.</font color=purple>

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My brother runs 33" Boggers at all four corners for the 33" class. In the 39 to 44 class he runs 42" Swampers at all four corners on stock Chevy wheels.

Our local 1/4 mile NHRA track opens this Sunday for test and tune day, and we are heading up to it. He hopes to cut a high 12 in his truck, but I think it will be a low 13. We have one more thing to do to it after Sunday, and I think that will bring it into the 12's. Were lookin forward to a fun weekend!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] RedDog

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2000, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got 35 boggers in the rear, with 34-9.50 swampers up front. they work great with my staggered gearing. pull a fullsize truck great, and should work great on my d-50!!!

Hickory Plains Mudway, Inc.
http://www.expage.com/page/hickoryplainsmudway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode