Muffler Q for Mudracer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 09:25 AM
TEX

Muffler Q for Mudracer

<font color=purple>Hey, are those Flowmasters on Mighty Mouse? And if so, are they 2 or 3-chamber units? I like the sound of those & am thinking of re-doing my exhaust (probably for 2001), so I'm looking for ideas. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 02:19 PM
mudracer

Re: Muffler Q for Mudracer

Yep, 3" 2-chamber universal style, headers & 3" duals to the back of the cab. I like 'em and I'd bet that the Mouse is faster with mufflers than with open headers. I would like to race it with open headers once just to hear it roar. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I used to do that before rules changed requiring mufflers, but haven't with the current engine yet. You may want to look at the 1-chamber style. I know a couple guys using them and I've noticed they aren't really any louder than the 2-chambers.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'84 K20 driver
<font color=orange>'79 K10 mud racer</font color=orange>
'48 CJ-2A trail Jeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 02:36 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>One chamber, eh? Hmmmmmmmmmm. Sounds about right. May have to check those out. Edelbrock recommends 1 7/8" headers with the stuff that's in my motor - and that's for a 350. I've got 1 5/8" "engine swap" headers & I might ditch those eventually. One of the things keeping me from getting the better heads I want is the fact that I won't get any benefit out of them until I switch the headers. But, doing both at once will kinda hit the ol' wallet[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

I kinda figured yours to be 2-chamber as they were quite a bit louder than the 3-chamber one on my tow vehicle. 'Course I wasn't sure if that was more because of the style of the muffler than the fact that you (1) have more HP than my tow vehicle and/or (2) have duals.</font color=purple>

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 08:52 PM
mudracer

Chances are you won't see the 1-chambers in the catalogs, but Jegs or Summit can get 'em. My brother put a set on his tuff truck and I think they came from Summit. You might call Flowmaster and ask for a recommendation. I talked to a very knowledgeable, helpful guy there once. Wish I could remember his name...

I suppose Edelbrock should know their stuff from testing various combos. I went with 1-3/4" on mine. From what I've read, it was big enough for me. Besides, try to find headers made for a 4WD truck that are bigger than 1-5/8". It ain't easy! [depressed] You just about have to make your own or find some for a Camaro or Chevelle or something and trial fit 'em. I had clearance problems with motor mounts, driveshaft, crossmember, etc. Fitting 'em into a Toy is another matter. I hope you find it easier to get a good set of headers in your truck than I did. Are yours the short tube, "block hugger" type?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'84 K20 driver
<font color=orange>'79 K10 mud racer</font color=orange>
'48 CJ-2A trail Jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 09:30 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>I tried the shorties, but they dumped right into my framerails[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img], so they were out. These came from NWOR - a Toyota place. These suckers were $360!!! They're better than shorties, but I think they're holding me back a bit. Less so now with the 1.94 heads & 600 carb. But, the head & carb I want to add they're supposed to give a 9.5:1 350 420HP at 6-6,500. I'm 10.2:1 now & would be around 10.7:1 with the heads I want & 408", so we're probably looking at well in excess of 450HP with all the goodies[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

One guy who had a 350 in his Toy used some sort of Camaro headers, heated 'em up, and made them work. He claims that it really woke up his motor compared to the headers he had (same ones I have now), and his motor is a lot milder than mine. Unfortunately, he sold the truck & I never see him anymore. I need to get ahold of him. I think the headers he used were about $89.</font color=purple>

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode