Does anyone race pro arena? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-1999, 01:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does anyone race pro arena?

What's better a 4wd or a 2wd ? a Jeep or a mini truck? or a fullsize? Not that I really don't know, just want to stir the pot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-1999, 11:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Does anyone race pro arena?

I don't personally race pro arena- but I have several friends who are fairly competitive in the PACE motorsports series and and the Special Events Jamboree Tough Truck series. Four wheel drive is the only way to go- it's nearly impossible to do 180 degree turn and get going fast enough to clear the jumps and whoop de doos without it. The wheel base that seems to work best is kind of in between a full size truck and a jeep. Full size broncos and blazers seem to work well. As far as suspension- soft, soft, soft. at static the truck will have 4 inches of compression and like a foot of droop. That keeps the center of gravity low for cornering but allows enough suspension travel for adequate damping. also- slap as many long travel shocks on it as you can. And buy the special ones that allow instant droop and resistive compression. I don't know what the valving is that allows that. If the rules allow it- move the engine back to keep the weight centered between the axles and whatever axle you use- truss the hell out of it. I've seen guys use the "weakest" axles imaginable- but they live because the housings are trussed to the point where they cannot possibly flex. Run a fairly low profile tire, with aggressive tread- and keep it aired up pretty high. Let your suspension do the absorbing- let the tire do the gripping. You'll be grateful when it comes to cornering. I've seen guys try to run a stock lift kit with 38s or 44s and the tire nearly folds over during cornering and the suspension barely flexes at all- the tire is absorbing nearly all of it. Also, run anti sway bars bigger than you think is necessary. So many of the courses are becoming tighter and tighter because of the smaller venues and the races are won in the corners. I hope this info is helpful, Luke

87 Wrangler, 360, 39.5 Boggers, Dana 44s
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-28-1999, 01:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Does anyone race pro arena?

Thanks luke, I was just kind of funnin' with folks. You are right about what works. I help Jeff mello with his Jeep. We are national # 2 behind Gary, in pace last year. both are jeep based and four wheel drive. We have found that the a real soft suspension is not as good as we first thought. The 2 wheel drive mini truck guys do a good job as well maybe next year we'll see some more competition. We are limited to 14" of shock travel, so having as much of that 14" helps. The V8 and 4wd really help on the long tracks.
Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode