boggers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

boggers

First time posting a message. Hope everything works out. Going to a set of boggers this upcoming year. We run mainly fast tracks here in West KY, but see the occasional bog. Have seen Holloway run 38.5x11 boggers that seemed to work great. I know we are going to go that big, but was considering maybe a pair of the new 37x13 boggers for the back. I been told that front tires turning a little faster than the back will help keep the front end up on top of the mud. Any responses would be appreciated. We do not know just what direction to head.
THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 10:30 AM
TEX

Re: boggers

<font color=purple>Hey, first of all welcome to the board! You're kinda in my "neighborhood" (Eastern Missouri) so I imagine we see a lot of the same folks (Holloway included). It's funny, but I was just wondering about the same thing with the 37's. But, everyone has so much success with the 38.5X11's at all 4 corners, I'd be hesitant to break from that formula. At the very least, check the tread depth on the 37's before you buy. The 38.5's are 29/32's deep - that's deeper than any other mud tire I've ever found. And they do bite! Personally, I would use the 38.5X11's at all 4 corners for a "Fast Track" truck (they do fine in the deeper stuff too, but if it's REAL deep, you give up some ground clearance to the 39.5's & 44's). Use less backspacing on the rear wheels to get them to line up EXACTLY behind the front. Front axles are usually a bit wider than the rear axles (Toyotas are the same front & rear), so if you use the same backspacing on all of your rims, the tires won't line up behind each other & that can slow you down & maybe put you a bit sideways.

You ever see Travis Griffin in The Insider? He did real well in my Pro Stock class at a race I held in August of '99.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TEX,
Appreciate the response. Lilgirl is my fiance and races the ford affectionately named Mud Duck. We use the lilgirl user name for home and mud_duck for my office. We couldn't keep the big ford motor together long enough this past year to do much. That's already in the process of changing. Holloway got down into Jonesboro, IL area a few times this past year. We even managed to get him over to Ballard Co., KY to run on the dirt side by side.(It was kind of a raw deal for him)Haven't been able to make any of the races up in your area, but are planning on coming to as many as possible. Our first race will probably be the Wolf Lake, IL race in May. I was wondering if it was being put on by the MMOR club. Last year the Monsters of Mud tour started off there. Quite a few trucks made the event.
Again the info on the tires is greatly appreciated.Hope to hear from you soon.

mud_duck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 02:48 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>MMOR (www.mmor.com) just does stuff close to their home base (Union, Missouri). Probably will be Monsters of Mud if I had to guess if that's what was there last time. You'll have to get us a schedule of what's coming up.

Holloway wasn't real happy with me either last year (he was nice about it though) as he couldn't pull enough vacuum to get into my Street Stock class at O'Fallon, MO. His pal Chris Bruska ended up winning the class. But, Holloway slapped his R85's on for "Hot Street" in the "Pit" (I cut that class off at 38.0") and took 1st place. And he took 3rd or 4th in Super Stock too, so no real room to complain [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

Definitely see if you can slide on up to Montgomery City, Missouri on June 23rd. Should be a real nice turnout - I'm doing "Fast Track" and "Pit" racing (11 total classes), so should be a really wild mix of vehicles on hand. This'll be the 4th GUMBO sanctioned race I've put on & I've always had at least 4 states represented - but so far, nobody from KY [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

You ever run up in Shelbyville, IL? Not a whole lot of trucks there, but some pretty good runners. They run double elimination, so lots of passes & a lot of guys like that.

Well, hope you can keep that engine together in Y2k1 & keep the rubber side down [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].</font color=purple>

TEX

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TEX,
I noticed the Wolf Lake race on the MMOR calender so I just assumed they might somehow be involved. As soon as we get some type of race schedule (IF WE DO) we'll let you know.
There were several guys we run with that made it to O'Fallon last year. Baxter in the super stock class placed 3rd. Roger Lee & Scott placed 3rd and 7th or 8th in the prostock class. Not too bad.
Besides from the dirt there are just not that many dedicated mud races in our area. We have to wait on local fairs in the middle of the summer or drive down into TN to race. God willing, we will definitely be in Montgomery.
Just how far is Union, MO from the Cape Girardeau, MO area?
mud_duck

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 03:37 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>I didn't even see that on the MMOR calendar & I was just lookin' there yesterday. Yeah, I remember Baxter & Roger Lee, trying to remember which one Scott was (I'll check the stats & put a name with a truck, haha).

Union is probably 3 hours from Cape. It's a solid 2 hours to Perryville from up here (used to race there with Missouri Mud), so yeah I imagine it's 3 hours to Cape.</font color=purple>

TEX

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TEX,
I'm not quite sure where I saw the race, but I'm pretty sure it was at the MMOR site. Baxter and Rodney(LUBE IT} are the contacts. Supposed to be 4-wheeler(atv) mud races also.
Scott Brothers drives a little ram D-50 or something similar with an AMC motor. Need to give them all a call. Haven't talked to them since Princeton, KY race last year.
Hope all of this rambling isn't too much.
mud_duck

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 02:04 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Yeah, I remember him. Was thinking "last name" Scott, not first name (brain fart there - especially since that's MY first name [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]). He was just out of the money in Pro Stock, but the top 9 or so were clustered in about 2 tenths. Tough class! Just used his D-50 as an example on the Short Wheelbase board the other day - someone said something to the effect of nobody ever swapping an AMC engine into a non-AMC vehicle [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

There's a lot of stuff on the MMOR calendar, so I could have just overlooked that one. I'll have to see if I can get down there to pass out some fliers for Montgomery [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].</font color=purple>

TEX

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 12:44 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>BTW, I did locate that race on the MMOR calendar. There's also a contact # on the MMOR guestbook (as of this weekend) for the Carrollton, IL races.</font color=purple>

TEX

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 03:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TEX,
I hadn't noticed the Carrollton race on the calender, but I know Carrollton is located a little noth of St. Louis, MO on the IL side. I just imagine we'll try and be there also. You seem to be on top of a lot of issues conecrning mud racing and bogging. I've got a few questions about other issues also. Let me know whether it would be wise to start another thread or not. Any and all info(opinions &/or facts) are appreciated and considered.
THANKS
mud_duck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode