Lousy Local Racing Rules - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 01:38 PM
mudracer

Lousy Local Racing Rules

Does anyone else have the local track making rule changes that are obviously done to knock the top trucks out of the class? When a guy builds his truck to meet the rules of the class and gets his truck set up right and wins consistently, they seem to find a way to change the rules to get you out of the class, apparently to satisfy the whiners who find it easier to bitch than to put the necessary effort into building their truck into a winner. I'm sure that I'm not the only one to run into this. It just ticks me off that the people in charge of the rules don't always have the guts to ignore the whiners. Sorry, just needed to vent a little.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
<font color=orange>'79 K10 mud racer</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 02:27 PM
RolngThun

Re: Lousy Local Racing Rules

Our assocation was bad for rule changes every year long time ago. Not for the reasons you mention. It just seemed like every new set of board members had there own ideas and felt things just needed to be changed. Or like it was there job to change things. But then it got to where the same board members stayed in place for a few years, or moved up in position. So there was no big turn over in board members. Things have been alot better since then. Very little rule changes, and the changes that were made were safty issues.
In our assocation big rule changes are voted on by all the members of the assocation.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 10:49 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>I was victimized by that in our club - and it's ironic because I was the one who started the club, who backed our first race with my checkbook, and who wrote 95% of all the rules we have. Few folks decided to go to "stamped" height tires instead of measured height. That was okay except that for my class they went to the same height as had previously been measured, but for the next class up, they increased the tire diameter to make room for the most popular tire size. I was running 38X12.50's in the 36" measured height class & was definitely the target even though the class winner for the season was running 34X9.50's. Oddly enough, the guy who started the campaign to eliminate me from the class wasn't even a current club member & the FIRST ones to run 38X12.50's in my class was this guy's sister & brother-in-law (that guy had since moved up to a higher class). What really burned me was that I had already sold my tires prior to the rule change, but had the sale canceled 'cause the guy who wanted them wanted to run that class. I ended up having to take them completely out of this area to sell them & lost a lot of $$$. The good news was that my replacement Q78's worked even better than the 38's & led to my most successful season ever [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. So, what did the whiners do to Mighty Mouse?</font color=purple>

TEX

<font color=purple>P.S. One of the reasons GUMBO will never be the kind of association that allows votes on rule changes is that I don't want any of the crybabies to hose up what I have going.</font color=purple>

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 02:17 PM
mudracer

Well, here's a few from memory... for "Altered Stock" class.

1. Raised vacuum from 15 to 16. Ouch! Time for a new cam!
2. No electric fans, fuel pumps or water pumps. My fan and fuel pump are electric.
3. No removal of leaf springs. I have done this and have been experimenting with other rear suspension tricks, while sticking with basic factory setup.

The goofy one is for "Super Stock" class, they want the truck to have current plates! With the other mods they will allow, like open headers, no vacuum limit, etc., no one is going to drive the beast on the road. It's just another expense and annoyance to drive away more of the dwindling local mud racers.

I think they're a little upset that last year, my truck took the season points trophies for the two classes above the class is was built for (Altered Stock). This is not so much because my truck is so fast, as because many trucks are just not coming anymore because of these stunts with the rules for the last few years. When my small block powered, Q-jet carbed, full size, non-gutted, all steel truck can win the trophy for "Modified" class, that should tell you something. There is less competition which is sad because in my opinion that's what it is all about.

The whiners are the guys who don't travel around and race against tough competition like Slimfast, Holloway, etc. They want the class to fit their truck, not make their truck fit the class. So, I think they are looking at things they think make my truck and others faster than most and making rules against them. Two years ago, they made a new "Pure Stock" class for the people who couldn't compete with the mildly modified trucks. That was fine, but now that's not enough. What happened to the concept that if you're losing, you go home and make your truck a winner. That's what everyone who wins consistently has done. Am I wrong? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 05:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A little off topic but I've seen the same occurances happening locally as mudracer to an extent. I originally built my '78 for stock/street stock, over the last few years I've jumped it classes to run the 38" and up classes, and my full bodied/non gutted/440 truck (running 37" goodyear M/T's of all things) has been consistantly placing in the top 3 at the runs I go to. What's really insane is that it'll pull 17" vaccum, and has been running full exhaust, there is just no competition in the upper classes.

This year I'm building a seperate truck for the stock/street stock classes locally since that's where the real competition is, and I have no doubt that the "stock" truck will spank my "modified" truck if I'd throw bigger tires on it. There is just not the need to build a bad ass runner for the top classes when an essentially stock truck will remain competitive. The # of participants and spectators has increased exponentially in the last few years yet no one is building for anything over stock class????? it's just bizarre to me.
Jay

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 09:23 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Yup, my philosophy has always been that you build trucks to meet the rules, not the other way around. I especially think the current plate in Super Stock is the goofiest thing I've ever heard. I've been trying to get that rule dropped from even our stock classes. See, our local county just got emmissions, so guys from other counties can come in and run pretty much whatever they want to with a legit plate, while the local guys have to pass emmissions. And the thing is the guys who build to RACE will get a plate one way or another, and the only guys who'll get bumped up will be some once-in-a-while runner who probably isn't competitive anyway. I mean if some guy with a 13:1 stroker motor under the hood of a mid-90's Wrangler can come in with legit documentation & I can do the same with my 408 powered Toyota, we're gonna be the guys to beat in the class and I'd feel sorry for some poor schmo who drug a basically stock truck off the farm & had to run a class higher than me.

I also think it's pretty silly to get strict on Altered Stock when they have a Pure Stock class below that. Definitely a case of the crybabies getting their way & the sad part is that those guys are complete nobodies in the sport. They do nothing to promote the sport or to help it grow. They discourage competition, which makes for a lousy show for the spectators. And if you don't give those folks something worth watching, pretty soon you won't HAVE any races.

CBody, as for your lack of good runners in the upper classes, we'll just have to help ya recruit some real bad a--es for those local races. Sometimes it takes a couple hotshot outsiders to wake up the locals & make 'em get serious about wrenching [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].</font color=purple>

TEX

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 10:24 AM
mudracer

Couldn't agree with you more, TEX. It's kind of like the way they are "dumbing down" the classes.

Here's another goofy situation. A friend has a Wrangler built for serious crawling. Stock EFI 4.0 liter, granny 4 speed, Dana 300, Dana 60 front, Eaton 1 ton rear. He would have to run in Modified there because of his 3-linked rear with coils, even though it is a stock 6 cyl. He just wants to race for fun once in a while, but won't bother now.

Cbody- the reason no one is building serious racing trucks is the cost to be competitive. Class 3 NMRO is won by he who spends the most money and it has been that way for several years. If you don't have a mega cube stroker big block, it isn't worth your time and effort to show up. That's why some of us guys with altered stock type trucks have gotten creative and made the most out of our trucks for the classes we can afford to run instead of taking that big step up to the next class.

'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 04:01 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>That Wrangler would be a sticky one. On the one hand, he wouldn't be that competitive. But, on the other, if you let him run modified suspension the guys with REAL HP will want to be able to do the same. Tough call.

NMRO class III really has gotten out of control, but it's worse for guys in your area 'cause that's where a lot of the NMRO hotshots come from. I was floored when I went to Shuff's race & even though there were about 35 trucks there, he had half a dozen that could make the top 10 at most of the NMRO races if they showed up. Around here, if we get 35 racers, we're luck if 1 or 2 are worth watching - guess that's why we're happy to get 100-120 racers [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. But, back to class III. They really let it get out of control with the cutout beds, 4-links, and shoved back engines. Looks more like Class IV from the 80's & early 90's (back then, IV was "Pro Stock" instead of "Modified"). Back then, they skipped straight from Pro Stock to Pro Modified, so there was really no place for the guys with unblown rails. So, they changed class IV to what it is today, but lost a place for the guys from the old class IV. And over the years, they've let more & more stuff slide in III until it ended up like it is today. Oh yeah, the guy who kicked everyone's butt this year in III has a 406 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].</font color=purple>

TEX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode