setting up an arena racer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

setting up an arena racer

I have a donor Geo tracker 2wd frame with engine/tranny complete everything works great.I want to set a samurai body on top of it for the sammys lighter weight,I'm thinking of welding some custom 3-6" body lift mounting points and keep the stock steering symetry.I might try and add the taller rear coil springs to the front.If anybody has any ideas please feel free. You wont hurt my feelings

Drive it like you stole it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 02:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: setting up an arena racer

a 6" body lift? Isnt that getting a little ballsy? What kind of arena racing are you talking about? If you are going to do any jumping at all, forget body lift, unless you want those lift pucks to go through the sheetmetal...I would go with a suspension lift for it (does anyone even make one for a 2wd tracker?) If no one does, try California Super Trucks they do alot of custom lifts.

Better yet dont take my advice, I dont do arena races, but I do know what happens when you start jumping with body lifts (dont worry never happened to me) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
89 K1500 Skyjacker 2.5" 33" SSR's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the body lift would not be a typical body lift,I would fab all new mounting points for the body,and allow for about 4-6" as not to change any steering symetry.But enough height as to not interfere on the landings.The weight of a samurai body stripped cant be more than 300lbs there super light.I have been looking at the rear coil springs there about 5" taller,could i replace the fronts with the longer rear coils.I have no knowledge of coil spring/strut suspensions.

Drive it like you stole it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 12:24 AM
Nickmil

The key to pro arena is dependability and suspension travel, not height or tire size. i've seen guys with 29's do as well as guys with 33's. Seems like 31's do about the best. You need enough hp to clear the doubles, don't try the triples you just break stuff, need to be able to swing the rear around the corners (spool the rear) 2 wd works great with enough suspension. One of the other keys is keep it as low as possible. If lots of lift (body or suspension) it has too much body roll and coupled with short wheel base means rollover which means no trophy or money. I had a guy in my club that had a modified Jeep with glass shaker body, low and fast, 30" tires but was too narrow and consistently hooked up too well in the rear in the corners and rolled at least twice a weekend. We threatened to put wheels on top of his roll cage to make it easier to get him out of the Coliseums! Best thing to do is go to some races and afterwards find a driver that is willing or has time to answer questions and also look at the most successful machines and decide what they are doing that works. That way you have fun and learn from others mistakes. Good luck. Been there, Done that a couple of times (I'm a slow learner).
Nickmil.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:38 AM

If this is a racer.. *CUT IT*

Why even bother with a body lift? I thought Sawzalls were made for tire clearance? ;-)

I don't recall seeing FG bulged fenders for Sammys lately.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/
(Did you know 38s will fit on a stock Scout II?)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 03:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have tracks that you race at and any other information ie rules etc. Am interested in starting a series of race and mud events in Syracuse area, could use some assistance in getting it started...capnzook

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode