Doe's grass roots off-road racing exist? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Doe\'s grass roots off-road racing exist?

Hello, I'am a frustrated circle track racer from Mid-Missouri. I'm tired of rainouts, long caution laps, and turning left all of the time. My true love is short course off-road racing. My problem is that there is no racing venue in this aera. I'm trying to raise interest in the area to start an association for off-road racers. Any and all info.on stock and sportsman truck and buggys classes from other areas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 02:44 PM

Re: Doe\'s grass roots off-road racing exist?

We have a sorta grass-roots racing organization in Montana. Rarely any prize money, but there is a trophy at the end of the season for Top Eliminator and small trophies at each event.

We hold 100 yard dirt/sand drags, ~2minute obstacle (solo) races, mud-bogs, hill climbs, and the 15-minute or 1/2-hour long "Baja" races which are a group obstacle. Everyone runs at once.. and usually it's the last rig still running that wins. <g>

You can see our rule book at:

http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/rac...rules_2000.htm

And some pics/write-up/videos from the races I've attended in the last two years at:

http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/racing/

We have a stock, Street/Trail, Sportsman, Competition Modified, and X-Classes.

I'm currently finishing up repairs from the October race (tried to do a grille-stand) in anticipation of our season opener the "Winter Baja" in Cascade, MT on Feb 10th.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/racer/
M4x4A #576 - Little Devil
'77 Scout II, 304C/727/4.89-full-width-44s, 31s -Comerized
"We Race Farm Equipment"

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 07:59 PM

It'd be fun to race only problem you are probably 10 or more hours away and I'd have to drive my junk back home after I beat the hell out of it. Anybody know of one within a couple hours away from chicago land?
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 09:27 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>You might try getting in touch with Heartland Park in Topeka, KS:

Heartland Park Topeka
1085 Southwest 71st Street
Topeka, KS 66619
(785) 862-4781 - toll free (800) 43-RACES
(785) 862-2016 fax

Maybe they can be of some help. Otherwise, you might want to take up mud racing - it's alive & well in Mid-Missouri! </font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Same here used to race late models and street stocks was a promoter for two tracks in the Syracuse area years ago. I too am interested in a series of events but actually inside a track. I know if there is enough interest that i can set up an event or two this year. If you have any information to share I would be very appreciative of it..thanks....capnzook

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 06:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well In my area (Omaha Nebraska is a better refrence point although I live in Iowa) I only hear of one race put on by an association, and I'm just trying to find out some more information on it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any place in Massachussetts, or the New England area basically, I wouldnt mind driving to Connecticut, New Hampshire, or even Vermont. Looking for any kind of racing really, the closest thing to GOOD racing is drag racing (dont let me fool ya, I love drag racing) is up at Epping in New Hampshire, or Seekonk Speedway(circle track), but I want some off-road racin', something with some sort of very stock class where its just guys taking slightly modified rigs around a track, or mud racing, sand drags, anything related to any sort of off-road racing in the New England area. Help me out!

89 K1500 Skyjacker 2.5" 33" SSR's
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]Friends dont let friends drive Fords[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 11:46 PM
Veteran

Not sure if this would be an intrest to you but have you ever been to or watched Truck Pulls??? I am a die hard 4x4 and a HUGE fan of POWER!!! But I also have a thing for good looking trucks that arn't getting dirty all the time. I am building a Pull truck right now and am hopping to get it up and going in the next year or two (money is tight right now)

Anyway, more about the sport....It is the fastest growing Motor Sport in North America right now. I am from Ontario and its taking off big time. Down where you are there are many organizations and circuts going. There are also usually 3 classes for 4x4's and then 1 class for the suped up 2wd's. The class I am getting into is Super Stock which is a very popular class but still fairly easy to get into and it will give you the skills you need if you want to get into the Modified 4x4's. The payout up here anyway is really good. Everyone gets something which is normaly enough to pay for your driving expensese to the track and also pays for registration. It is also a really big crowd pleaser. The trucks make more noise than Monster trucks because there actually working really hard and in the Modified class you can run a 600CI engine. You are even alowed to run alcohol in the SuperStocks but engine size is limited to 520CI.

Here is a link to the American Truck&Tractor Pulling Association which will give you alot of info
http://www.atpapullers.com/frame.htm

And here is a link to the Great Lake Truck and Tractor Pullers that I will be in and which also has alot of guys come up from NY,PENN,OH and MICH
http://gltpa.9ug.com/

Good Luck which ever way you go....Ryan

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 09:44 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Actually, truck pulling (and tractors for that matter) is not doing well as a sport in Missouri. Interest is kind of dwindling. Glad to hear it's doing better in your area though.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 05:29 PM
Veteran

Its totally huge up here in Ontario. Last year there were 8 new members in the SuperStock class, 2 new in the Mod 4x4's and 4 from SuperStock went to Modified and 4 actually went from Mod to the 2wd Class. Turnout is better than ever and I have also heard that in the states that touch any of the Great Lakes its doing the exact same there too. I think one reason why it might be dwindling in the area's it has been for a long time is because the classes are getting to hard to even place 10th in and there is too much money involed in getting started. Where I am you can get started in the SuperStock class for the same price it would take to build a truck for mud racing. You don't have to run alky to win!!!!!!

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode