What size tires do they use on Monster Trucks? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What size tires do they use on Monster Trucks?

Man those things are freakin huge...

<font color=red> If its too loud, your too old <font color=red>
<font color=blue> Cameron Burnett <font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 04:57 PM
TEX

Re: What size tires do they use on Monster Trucks?

<font color=purple>The standard monster truck tire is 66" tall & I think that's mandadated by MTRA rules (Monster Truck Racing Association). Depending on brand (Goodyear & Firestone most often), width can be 43-44", and I think rim diameter is 25". Back in the early days of monster trucks, some trucks experimented with 73" tires & other sizes. I've seen a few 54" tires, but not in a really long time - not that those would be allowed anyway.

You used to see 45-48" tires quite often - often being a relative term - again before monster trucks really became a dedicated sport & I suspect the lower class DRM speaks of will have tires in this range. The so-called "standard" size for this size truck is the 48" Terra tire, which I belive is 25" wide & works on a 20" diameter rim (going off memory). The potentially fun aspect of a new class would be the fact that Firestone & Goodyear 48's have very different tread patterns (unlike their 66" tires, which look alike) and the use of 45" Firestones or 46" Field & Turf tires may or may not be a possibility.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dang I bet those tires cost a chunk! there is a guy that I have heard of that has 52tractor tires on a blazer...just an idea....would those 52's be legal to ride in town on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 05:09 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Odds are those would be hopelessly illegal as I'm sure they're not D.O.T. approved. </font color=purple>

TEX

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 05:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I sure as heck bet they are tons less expensive then those 44in swampers though...the guy had 2 dana 70's to support those tractor tires.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 09:08 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Actually, if purchased new a set of tractor tires of that size would be considerably more expensive than 44" Swampers or Boggers. 'Course most guys who have them on their 4x4's don't start with "new" tractor tires.</font color=purple>

TEX

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They do use tractor tires on monster trucks, and then cut the treads themselves (cuz no company does) to make them a bit deeper. Saw a thing about them on TV a few weeks ago.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2000, 02:24 AM

Actually they shave the tread to make it shallower. They said that they don't need all that traction on the groomed courses, and it saves a couple hundred pounds PER TIRE!

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2000, 08:16 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Actually, from what I've seen, they do a little of both. Most of 'em are shallower, but with sharper biting angles on the front tires, but many of them have deeper dishing on the rears (much like mud racers). It's mainly for outdoor events where it sometimes gets wet. Everyone does it differently though. BTW, the "tractor" tires mentioned above I believe are of the narrow variety, whereas "monster" trucks use very wide combine tires.</font color=purple>

TEX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode