I heard a rumor... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I heard a rumor...

A local 4x4 shop has a vehicle thay are working on...

Supposedly, it will be one of a few to be in a new class of "Monster trucks" that are slightly smaller, and are geared more towards the average person (you know what I mean) being able to put one together to race...

I got to say - this is what monster trucks need... Get back to the ROOTS! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 02:06 PM
TEX

Re: I heard a rumor...

<font color=purple>There's been a guy for many years attempting to get a "Pro Stock" monster truck "class" together. Tire height would be limited to 48". The guy who wants to do this has just such a truck called "Raptor" (based on a late-model Ram). Problem I find with his idea of this "grass roots" class is that his particular truck still features a blown & alcohol-injected "mountain motor". $40,000 engines don't exactly say "grass roots" to me. Not sure if there was some restriction placed on the engines for this new "class" you speak of, but I do agree that the sport was stagnating & needs some freshening up.

Oddly enough that you should bring this up, I spent a considerable amount of time designing a 3-day event that I wanted to call - well, let's just hold back on the name since I haven't copywrited it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Included in my proposed events was a "Pro Stock" monster truck class. One other thing I wanted to do was to do monster truck racing like the old days. The winner & subsequent places get proportional amounts of cash, while those at the bottom of the heap go home empty handed - or at least with a significantly reduced payoff. That way, they have to put their best effort out there.

Not sure if you're aware of this or not, but Bearfoot (and possibly others) keeps a "special" engine just for the few events where winning means extra $$$. It's my understanding that this engine is used way less than 10% of the time (a lot of this info is second hand, so could be inaccurate). But, who could blame them for doing it that way? Why risk a big $$$ engine when losing pays the same as winning?</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 02:07 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>You know, another idea for such a class would include some sort of standardized chassis. Could keep the cost WAY down. Just a thought.</font color=purple>

TEX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

From what I have seen, it is a tube chasis like the monster trucks run but on a smaller scale. I am also pretty sure this will be for normally fueled and aspirated engines too, but i may be mistaken.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 04:49 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>I would expect a tube chassis, but I think they could specify certain things that would lower the cost to newer trucks. If a "normal" chassis is $15,000, it might take an extra $15,000 to improve upon that significantly & that's where the costs get out of control. I also don't have a problem with alcohol as fuel (despite what it might have looked like in my earlier post) as it doesn't build power as much as it controls heat. Injection - while driving up the cost somewhat, again could be almost mandatory with the bumps & jumps they encounter. But, maybe they can eliminate superchargers & put a cubic inch limit of say 500 or 550 inches.

Admittedly, I don't know a whole bunch about the sport. Certainly, not an insider. So, any "advice" I could offer would be just general ideas. But, I think there are a lot of things that can be done to make this an interesting thing.</font color=purple>

TEX

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 04:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think if anything they shouldn't let alcohol cars in...yeah and limit engine size... maybe they should use propane setups...that would be cool i think.!

<font color=red> If its too loud, your too old <font color=red>
<font color=blue> Cameron Burnett <font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 05:06 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Yeah, propane! That would be different! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]</font color=purple>

TEX

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think propane would be pretty cool...instead of alcohol and gas...

<font color=red> If its too loud, your too old <font color=red>
<font color=blue> Cameron Burnett <font color=blue>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 06:08 AM
RolngThun

The only problem with propane, is that it is under high pressure. Not as high as natural gas. But alot higher then gas or alky. Could make it more dangerous.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey funny you should mention propane (I know your post is old) but I was driving my dads Suburban with a trailer hitch thing, I dont know what to call it, it doesnt have wheels, it kind of like goes into the hitch and then "hangs" off the back, its pretty stable, but anyway, my dad had his gas grill and propane tank on the back there, he went tailgating at a Patriots game earlier in the day, so Im driving home, and I kind of forgot the hitch was on there, took a corner too hard and the grill and tank came flyin' off the back, fortunatly the tank didnt blow up, but the grill got a broken leg, needless to say, my dad was not to happy as he hardly lets me drive his Suburban anymore....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode