Tired of bottoming out! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2000, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Tired of bottoming out!

I have a straight axle style Toyota w/V8

Who has the trick whatever to help prevent bottoming-out?
I bent my second braced front axle, and I'm tired of cringing every time I fly off something. I figure hydraulic-stops are the ticket, but what is everyone's opinion?

I bought some of those 4-1/2" tall Energy Suspension bump stops. The first time I jumped it they tore from their bases and shot out like pumpkin'seeds. I now run two 2-1/2" stops. It has Dbl 10" Bilstiens too. The set-up works good to a point. The Pix is the current safe altitude limit of my suspension.

They guys on the Toy board had some ideas, but no one seems to have first hand experience with hyd/air stops.

Chevota
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-153377-TruckBowlAir.jpg (35.6 KB, 34 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2000, 07:39 PM
RolngThun

Re: Tired of bottoming out!

WOW! That would be getting some air.
I sure don't have the answer for that much air time.
Take as much weight off the front as you can.
Hydrolic bump stops, I don't even know what they are.
What type of spring set up is that thing have? Seems to me some kind of veriable rate spring would help. One that gets alot stiffer as it gets to the bottom. I know I have seen off road trucks with two types of springs stacked up on there coil overs. A tall normal rate one with a short stiff spring under it. After they bottom out the tall spring the short stiff one takes over.
That is all the ideas I can come up with, other then pilots license and a set of wings.
I know if I were to get that much air under my dragger, there better be a change of clothes for me.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2000, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm kinda interested in what kind of modifications you have to do just to get that much air without tearing up your truck. Do you have to strenghten the frame?

Get Dirty!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2000, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

I used to catch twice as much air when it was bone stock w/the 4cyl in it, and the only mod back then were Rancho 7000 shocks. Now I have a V8, the truck is lower than stock, and I want a soft ride. None of which work well with air-time. The reason I re-did the frame and built the cage is because I don't want to die! I've already rolled it, and been in an accident that would have destroyed the truck, the frame/cage only has some scratches in the paint to show for it!
Anyway, the mods now are double 10" bilstiens in front, some cheapie aftermarket springs, I can't remember who made them, and double 2 1/2" urethane bump-stops. The frame is 2"x3"x.120" wall tubing, the cage is 1-3/4"x.090" w/ 1-1/2"x.060 for bracing. I made it all from scratch, I designed it as I went along.

Chevota
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-154264-Mar'981.jpg (73.6 KB, 40 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2000, 04:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

shocks were the only thing you changed with the 4banger, wow! I ran over a curb the other day and i was affraid i tore the truck up. all i ended up doing was breaking a belt in the tire and of course the alinment is messed up. So am i just a wimp but can stock mini trucks take this kinda punishment, or is it just a toyota thing?

Get Dirty!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2000, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Yeah, it's a Toyota thing. Especially a solid axle Toyota thing. Those trucks are very tough! Other than gernading a front ring&pinion once, the drive train can handle the 500+ horse 400 Chevy. Try that with the "other guys" trucks. It also has about 160K miles with the 4cyl, and 100+K with the 400.

Chevota
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been thinkin about your problem. here's what i came up with:

What you need is a little more downward travel, with a little less upward travel??

Maybe you could lift the truck in the front a little with a little stiffer spring...

I've read about longer shackles, but i don't know....

This would have been better to do before you did the engine swap, but if you could move the engine back a little to get the a little weight off the front axle (you said it landed better with the 4 banger)...

what are you thinking about doing?

Get Dirty!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Well, it sits with about 4" downward now. I do have a stiffer set of springs and they do help, but not much and the stiff ride and 3" of lift isn't worth it. I've got long shackles already, I think they're 8".
The motor is back as far as I can reasonably put it.
It's several inches further back than a stock Toy could have it. I've also moved everything that can be moved to the back.

I'm going to check-out the Hyd/air stops, and look at some full race coil-over shocks.
My buddy has some on his buggy and I think I got chubby! They not only have a lot of travel, but it uses 2 coil springs. One is super stiff and when you compress so far it stops the reg spring and uses the stiff one for the remaining travel. If that works out I can put my 10" Bilstiens on buggy to save me that expense.

Thanks for the ideas!

Chevota
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is a Bronco that races the stadium courses called cajun spice,his set up is the remote resevoir bilstein set up.I've never seen any other vehichle land so controlled.From 2' to 10' of air that setup rocks.There are some of the guys who think that a stiff suspension is the way to go,but to see this guy land will change your mind.

Drive it like you stole it!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 10:06 PM

here's something to check out: try looking into King or Fox shocks, they each have coil-over remote resevoir shocks up to 14" travel. I believe they are both located in SoCal, not sure where though. They are a combination oil/nitrogen set-up. I also believe they each make the bumpstops. They are also oil/nitrogen adjustable. I use the King's and the bumpstops on our Pro 4 F150 4x4 in the C.O.R.R. series. www.corracing.com
We typically see 4-6 feet of air off jumps....
Fox is located in San Jose, just found a brouchure...

Hope this helps ya a bit!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode