Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Mud Racing - Monster Trucks (https://forums.off-road.com/mud-racing-monster-trucks/)
-   -   mud building tips (https://forums.off-road.com/mud-racing-monster-trucks/133784-mud-building-tips.html)

YZEATER 08-28-2002 02:24 PM

mud building tips

i'm building a mud bogger/ woods truck , something mainly to beat around. for in the mud what type of differentials work the best? like a locker in the rear or limited slip or what. open for suggestions. truck is a 79 dodge 3/4 ton. still deciding on tires.

**DONOTDELETE** 08-29-2002 08:26 AM

Re: mud building tips

run it stock with 33' Swampers
My first GOOD 4X4 was my '74 3/4 Power Wagon with a 318 and a dinky 2 barrel that looked like a 1 barrel. I used it for going through the woods and for small loads of firewood. (I didn't have a chainsaw then so I just grabbed already cut rounds that the firewood guys left behind.) That truck would take the abuse of any tree I ran into, never got stuck and did some amazing stunts. I give 90% credit to the fact it was stock and the tires. Swampers are just incredible.
I still run Swampers, but upgraded to Boggers because I do less of the woods thing and more of the mud. Boggers aren't as good for the woods and for snow. But Boggers are on almost every truck I race against that trophies!

TEX 08-29-2002 09:02 AM

33" TSL's are great tires, 34X9.50's are better though [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] And nobody around here runs Boggers smaller than 38.5X11 in competition anymore, unless it's on shallow tracks. The 33's & 35's plow too much mud & suck too much horsepower for even a pretty well-built engine. Q78 TSL's on the other hand self-clean at 1/2 the speed of 35" Boggers, but I can spin them TWICE as hard [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

TEX

YZEATER 08-29-2002 11:01 AM

the truck i'm building on just has the cab, no fenders, mounted on the frame, the motor and drivetrain. it has a 4 to 6 inch suspension lift on it already. the gears in it are 4.11's. any idea about lockers/limited slip differentials? so what size tires should i run? there are no clearnace problems at all.

TEX 08-30-2002 01:49 PM

Lock the rear, leave the front open. Hmmmm, no clearance problems & putt-putting around in the woods? I'm thinking something like R85 Buckshots or 38.5X11 Boggers.

TEX

YZEATER 11-11-2002 10:10 AM

Need some opinions again. the mud bogs that i plan on going to have 5 classes. A= cut paddle tires, any motor, vehicle. B= 37" dot tirezs and up. C= 34"-36" dot tires and up. D= v8 engine with up to 33" tires. E= 4cyl. and 6 cyl. with up to 44" tires. as you know i have a 1980's or so dodge 3/4 ton with just a cab. soon to be just rollbars and no cab. a 318 motor and 4.10 gears. i have a 360 for when the 318 goes. i plan on running in the local mud bogs which are deep, and around the woods and mud holes at my family's property, lots of hills, trails, mud and more mud. i sold my 44" tires i had cause i knew they were gonna be too big for what i want and have. now my question is: should i try to stay in the lowest class possible, d class with 33's. or should i go with 35's or bigger. i don't wanna have 2 sets of tires. i want to be able to compete yet still be able to play. i can by a set of like new 38" ground hogs for $400. but i have been thinking about just buying brand new 33's. with those gears and motor combination what do you think would be my best bet. and if 33's what type? i know i'm losing ground clearance with smaller tires. but i know i can turn those better then bigger ones.