I got asked for Mud Run advise - How'd I do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mud Racing - Monster Trucks Discussion of closed course mud racing and Monster Trucks, all aspects.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got asked for Mud Run advise - How\'d I do?

A friend of mine is getting $3,000 and wants to turn his stock TJ into a DD/mud runner. Here is what I told him, I'm looking for comments as I don't know a whole lot about TJ's. Thanks a lot!

Ok, and I'm assuming a 4.0L and a 5spd TJ.

1st, dont worry about gearing (I'll tell you why later, just trust me for now)

2nd, you have no current lift, right? I don't know a lot about TJ's, but does a 2" spacer lift and a 2" body lift sound like the cheapest way with minimal of related problems? (Say, $200?)

3rd, plan on spending $500 on a Tom Woods HD SYE kit.

4th, with no cutting, you should be able to run the 35.5" Q78's with the 4" lift (right?) (thats a $1,000)

5th, spend the money on the Super 35 kit, that gets you a locker and stronger shafts ($800)

6th, put the last $500 in the bank for future problems (ie: longer brake lines, etc...)

7th, for easy power mods, get a K&N and a bored out Throtle body. Your 200hp stock 4.0L has plenty of power to spin the tires.

Mud runs are 10% motor, 30% skill and 60% tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 11:32 AM
TEX

Re: I got asked for Mud Run advise - How\'d I do?

Sounds pretty good Arch. Q78's are a good choice as long as he can run them in the lowest class - our lowest only goes up to 33" in this area.

TEX
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 07:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Only thing i can think of would be more gears, but then again i'm not up on Jeep stuff so one of the kits you mentioned may have gears included. I think you would be hard pressed to spin those tires in deep mud with a somewhat stock engine.

For 3000 dollars, i'd buy a beat up 1/2 ton truck and have fun and not have to worry about driving it to work if i tore it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys, any suspension modification will get him out of the 'stock' class, so he'd be in the 6cyl modified class which goes up to 36" tires.

We'll see how he does, thanks again!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 02:54 PM

I doubt he would need an sye with a 2" spacer lift, i get minor vibes around 65-70 and they stay around to 80mph (i havn't really tried pushing the jeep much faster than that) some cam bolts or motor mount spacers would probably solve that (both about $15). I would say screw the spacer and body lift and get a 3.5" real rubicon express lift or the 4" super lift isn't that bad of a lift and runs about $500 though with that lift he either need to drop the t-case or get an sye. For an sye the rubicon express hack and tap is $80 and he can pull a bronco drive shaft from the junk yard and get it cut down (they have cv joint on them and are pletyful). brake lines shouldn't be much of a problem my buddy with a 4" super lift hasn't had any issues with his stock brake lines and his jeep flexes like cray. If he just plans on mud racing it that set up would be fine. Though if he plans on hitting the trals or local mud boggs with his buddys then a cb is a good add on, my cb is the $40 radio shack special with a $30 4' fibergalss whip and works fine for trail communication and talking with the truckers. Other good addons are a full roll cage (it is posable to roll in some mud bogs with huge ruts), rocker skids (my factory side steps both got ripped off and my rocker has a dent in it, 4x4x1/4" angle iron works well and mine cost me about $50 all said and done), a engine and trans skid plate (dented my oil pan and auto trans pan), a beefer gas tank skid plate (my stock one is a pretzle right now and i don't do much rock crawling, i think i came down on something), and it's a good idea to protect your steering box since they hang kinda low on tj's. Also throw in some cash for basic trail essientals like a tow strap, tow hooks, hi-lift, 1st aid kit, fire extingusher, shovel, some basic tools and spare parts and he should be set.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode