I need a 350 chevy in my mercedes benz - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mercedes Unimog All discussion concerning Mercedes, Unimog vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I need a 350 chevy in my mercedes benz

what adapters do I need? Where do I get them? I have been searching and searching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 09:48 AM

Re: I need a 350 chevy in my mercedes benz

why? heavier, lower revving, older deign, and makes less power?

a 280 L6 carbed benz can easilly be punched to around 250 HP, and a 6.3/6.9 Benz V8 ( OHC MPFI) is round about 400 HP. you can get either engine, used for $500-$1000 USD - just shop around online, or with mercedes user groups

c.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 06:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, you "can" do it. But you will be making everything custom. It isn't like there is a kit you can buy for the swap. I now Dan Johnson dropped a 350 into his rock mog, but there was a ton of custom work to get it done.

A reason to run a 350.....you can buy every part for the engine at any NAPA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 01:46 PM

yah - but the reason to stay benz...you NEED to buy parts for the chev 350 [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

try the vendor I gave here a while back ( [email protected]) for good prices on tune up parts. I paid under $100 US for the kit to redo my 240D - including new hardened valve seats, head gasket, timing chain,manifold gasket, et al......how much does it cost to do a full overhaul on a the chev?

chris
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 06:54 PM

hmm - forgot to mention, the reason theres no 'adapters' is that the 4/6 cylinder trannies wont handle a V8. in benz terminology, the 4's/6's use either a K4A 025, or K4C 025 transmission..the '025' part means they're rated to 250 ft/lbs input torque.

the rear ends are also kind-of steep gearing for a V8 ( standard 4/6 cylinder ratios are 3.9:1, and 4.08:1). a 350 with 700R4 is just about the only way to get a V8 in, and geared correctly, and even then, you'd kill the handling ( unless you're planning on using a corvette aluminum block 350)

FWIW, I've heard of 2 conversions to N.American V8's ( one a chev 350, one a ford 302)...both owners hated the results, and sold their cars within 6 months of completing the swaps

chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 01:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replies. I thought I would mention I already have a mercedes 350 v8 in it. Its raggidy and to rebuild it would cost around 6000 + to rebuild it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 05:35 PM

uhh - mercedes never made a '350'... closest engine I know of would be the 560 SE/SEL/SEC motors. hows about we start from scratch here, and you tell us what model, year, and engine Mercedes you have ( and what transmission, if you happen to know). if you do the work yourself, even a 6.9 OHC V8 wont cost you $5000 to rebuild...and the Benz motors will beat the crap out of anything short of a tpi corvette motor in the power department!

also, can you be more specific in just how the motors 'raggity'...I've got a lot of Benz experience, w/ gas, and diesel engines, so depending on just whats up, i might be able to get you going for considerably less.. Just as a couple of examples: some older benze used a pair of points in the lower distributor body to conrtol the FI pulse timing..if they're pitted, or shot, the fuel mix sucks. ditto for coils & wires - many benzes CANNOT use conventional plug wires, as it screws up their ignition resistance... the 'correct' wires are expensive, and hard to get, but a Volvo coil + conventional resister wires are a cheap, and 100% effective solution........hit me with the details, and I'll see what I can come up with

chris
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 02:32 PM

I would stay with the benz motor over a chevy V8.

How long have you owned this Mog? year? photos?

Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode