'tropical' water pump pulley. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mercedes Unimog All discussion concerning Mercedes, Unimog vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

\'tropical\' water pump pulley.

Hi Guys - not normally on this part of the forum, but maybe someone here can help me. I'm running a Mercedes engine (240D) as a conversion in another 4x4, and I'd like to get the water pump to spin faster, for rockcrawling. I know there was a 'tropical' package available for the 404 series Unimogs with the M180 engine that had a faster ratio for the water pump drive. I also know of the 404 series, 240D powered mogs specced for Angola, so I'd assume that if the gas kit wont work on the diesel, that theres a seperate kit...So far as sedans go, the 220/230 engines have pulleys that cross over to the 240D engines, and I'm guessing that the tropical kit is probably the same.

so - anyone here have a 'tropical' pulley they'd be interested in selling, or have an idea about where/how to buy, or build the requisite smaller pulley? ( or did they change the crank pulley, to make the pump & alternator spin faster ??)

any help, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

91 Niva 'Cossack', MB 240D, 4 speed auto, ~88:1 low, 30x9's, coil sprung, 830 RTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 10:38 AM

Re: \'tropical\' water pump pulley.

<font face="Comic sans MS">Seems like any decent machine shop could make a new smaller pulley for it... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] </font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

getting it made isnt really the problem - but the local places want way too much $$$ to do it properly. Unlike N.American pulleys, it's not just a flat disk with spacers - the pulley has a 3" cone shaped snout to clear the long water pump drive.
If I can find the Mercedes piece, it's likely to be cheaper, and I know its done right.

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 11:09 AM

&lt;font face="Comic Sans MS"&gt;I thought I'd seen some fitting that description used on some of the Big 3 (GM Phord or Dodge). Not sure if the offsets were *that* big but I do recall that some do have a pretty fair sized offset. Might want to check out some aftermarket suppliers for those. Maybe JCWhitney, Summit or some others... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] &lt;/font&gt;
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the tip - I'll have to check out the wreckers, and local places to see whats available up here ( I'm in BC, Canada, so actually GETTING some of the stuff is sometimes an issue).

Chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Re: \'update

tried DB in Germany - they no longer make the tropical kit.

Just in case anyone else was interested in teh extra cooling: I Have switched to a late model waterpump from a sedan that had A/C - the impeller is the same, but he waterpump shaft is shorter, and it uses a more conventional 'flat' pulley, so I have lots of options.

C.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 03:19 PM

<font face="comic Sans MS">Glad to hear you found a solution to the problem... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]</font>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

sort of - after changing to the short pump, w/ flatter pulley design, I figured it wouldnt be too hard - looks as though DB already use a relatively small diameter pulley...nothing I've checked so far has a smaller pulley, let alone a smaller pulley w/ the right bolt patten: Guess I might end up getting it custom fabbed after all 8^P

C.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you tried asking around at the unimog dealers in North America? I know a couple of them who are in my unimog club, NEMAC, and they would know if one of the pully's exists, or if they don't know, they would know who to contact.

Shoot me an e-mail and I can give you their info. [email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

actually, I used the insider track - there's a guy here in town who imports them from europe - knows the dealers, suppliers, etc. no dice, nor are tehre any availabel as military surplus from europe ( go figure, wrong climate)

I even took the part number to my mercedes supplier - and its NLA through benz. Incidetnally, I deal with Rusty Cullens in Georgia - he's a wholesale importer, who supplies most MB dealerships, and can get darn near anything, even for mogs, if you can supply the part number. his prices are DAMN good, too: most stuff for the M180 engines he has in stock, and can ship by the end of business [email protected] ( sorry, i dont normally promote businesses, BUT as th MB USA approved importer, he doesnt really have any competition)

c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode