My Aunt and I were rear-ended by an M Class Mercedes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Mercedes M-Class Discussion of all topics, relating to Mercedes M-Class vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2000, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Aunt and I were rear-ended by an M Class Mercedes

The other day my aunt and I were rearended by an M Class Mercedes. My aunt was driving her '97 4X4 Suburban and I was in the front passenger seat. We were approaching a traffic light that turned yellow. The car in front of us decided to stop, so naturally we did too. The next thing we know the sub rocks forward and ther is this thud/crunching sound. The guy who hit us ran up to the window and started yelling that the wreck was my aunt's fault. Obviously we wondered why. This idiot seemed to think we had rearended the car in front of us. He didn't think a suburban could have made that stop. Maybe he was talking on his cell phone and didn't see the break lights. We got out of the car and asked him to back his Mercedes up so we could see the damage. While he was backing up, his shattered plastic grille fell out and the bumper ripped off. The Sub's damage was limited to a few dents in the chrome bumper and scratches in the plastic on the bumper. I guess the class IV receiver under the bumper and the Mercedes front crush zone absorbed most of the impact. The Mercedes has dual front and side impact airbags. Seeing all of those airbags deployed was hilarious. I wish I had my camera. Although the look on his face when he finally saw his nice new smashed Mercedes was priceless. My aunt decided not to even ask him to pay for the bumper. She told him to fix his car and she would fix hers. I think she felt sorry for the guy. I just couldn't stop laughing at his car. I am just really glad I drive a huge tough Chevy Truck.

Dan

LIKE A ROCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2000, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: My Aunt and I were rear-ended by an M Class Mercedes

That's funny. I got hit by a van yesterday. I was in a parking lot driveway waiting for the traffic to break, when someone backed into me. No license, no insurance, no English. The cops would have impounded the van, but being in LA, it is impossible to get a call thru to the LAPD, much less having them come out.
I got 200 bucks from the guy. couldn't do any better than that. (not too much damage)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's about how my aunt felt. The cost of her new bumper with instalation was around $200. She felt bad because his car was so smashed so she just let him go. She also figured she would mess up the bumper again when towing, so she hasn't fixed it yet. The dents are really small and hardly noticable so she didn't ask him for any money. He was probably looking at about $8,000-$12,000 to fix his Mercedes. I agree with you on calling the police. We probably would have been waiting for aver an hour since it was rush hour in Atlanta. I am just glad to see that Chevy's are so tough since I just got my Tahoe last summer.

Dan

LIKE A ROCK

The Lord Giveth, and the Government Taketh Away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 08:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You know what. It was the Mercedes fault. Having took drivers education in high school, there is a rule. When someone hits you from behind, it is the car that hit you who is at fault. As an example, in the freeway, you can not tail gate someone going like 80 mph. There is that distance rule where you have to keep your distance from the car in front of you because when you press on your brakes, it will handle the stop without hitting anything up front. Anyway, I learned that from drivers education. Always keep a distance from the car that is in front of you. Also, a year and a half ago, a van hit my car from behind on a street. It was a cut and drive case for the insurance company. The van rear ended my car. I recieved $1100 for a small dent with no accident penality on my driving record. I would have called my insurance company about that accident.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have also taken drivers education. We knew that the wreck was clearly his fault. Everyone with common sense knows that. The guy who hit us was an idiot. Why do you think he rearended us. My aunt just didn't feel like waiting a few hours for the police to show up(it was during rush hour in Atlanta). My aunt didn't really care that her bumper was slightly dented. Had he hit us with enough force to injure one of us or severely damage the truck, we would have called the police and waited. Since we were fine and so was the truck, she decided to give him a break. They spoke for about 2 minutes and agreed to fix their own cars. If my aunt wanted to make him fix her truck, she would have made him. The whole thing wasn't a big deal to her. If he had hit me, I would have made him fix my truck.

Dan

Like a Rock

The Lord Giveth, and the Government Taketh Away
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You say that it is common sense to figure out that it was the driver of the M-Class fault. Just to let you know in the freeways in California on the left fast lane on the freeway, you see cars tailgating the front car with about 8 inches until impact and going about 80 mph or more. I see this EVERYDAY when I drive on the freeway. So some people do not know the consequences of their driving habits.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also, in my situation, when I got rearended, a police officer came in about 5 minutes. He just told us to exchange insurance numbers and addresses, no police report or anything like that. And all I had to do was to make phone calls to the insurance companies and get a body shop repair price.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2000, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast

Well actually if you rear end some one it's not always your fault.
if the person just made a u turn in front of you it's that persons fault.
and if some one changes lanes and you hit them it's that persons fault.

<font color=blue>WeRe AlL</font color=blue> <font color=purple>dYsFuN</font color=purple><font color=green>cTiOnAl</font color=green> <font color=purple>GeT oVeR iT!!!</font color=purple>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2000, 10:39 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Legally, you're always at fault if you rear-end someone. Morally, not always. Clearly, this idiot was at fault. He thought YOU had rear-ended someone, so it was your fault? Huh? Even if you HAD hit someone, he'd still be at fault & legally responsible for hitting you. Now, here's a case where I had to pay the damage & didn't argue, even though I feel the other driver was at least as much at fault as me. Crossing an icy bridge a couple of years ago, there was a Camry wagon up ahead of me tapping the brakes (with NOBODY in front of her) every few feet. As she got off the bridge (and off the ice) she stopped - yes stopped - at a green light (first time the brakes really grabbed I guess). Since she had been doing that brake tap thing all the way across, I thought she'd get going again. But, the light turned yellow & then I realized she was there to stay. I hit her going so slowly my ABS didn't even kick in. Both of our plastic bumpers were covered in ice & both cracked. I offered to pay even though her stupidity obviously contributed to the accident. And talking about running at 80mph bumper to bumper, if you get rear-ended under those circumstances on a multi-lane interstate, you're also partly at fault - although legally not so. They teach you in Driver's Ed (and it's in the booklet passed out by the State Patrol) that if you are being tailgated on a multi-lane highway to PULL THE PHUCK OVER AND LET THE FASTER CAR GO BY!!!!! Which would you rather have happen? You get hit & you get to gloat that it's "someone else's fault", or you don't get hit at all? I know which option I'd choose!</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 12:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is the cure for tailgaters. Do waht I did and rig you back up light to switch and when they get really close flip it on and watch them back off really quickly![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
BTW this group more popular than the kia group!

Rossco&lt;-A true GMC man![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
1988 GMC Jimmy 4x4 4.3 tbi, duel strait pipes(soon to be stock again, cops don't like noise)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img], Edelbrock/K&N Air cleaner,Cowl hood and engine swap(soon) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode