Lifts for Rovers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Land Rover Discusssion of all things Land Rover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Lifts for Rovers?

Just curious about who makes lifts for Range Rovers and Land Rovers? I very well may spend some portions of my life living in New Zealand, and man, Rovers are much cheaper over there as opposed to here in the USA. I know they have a reputation for being unreliable, but the guys who own them over there don't seem to have many more problems than the Nissan, Toyota, Holden, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, etc owners. Just thinking if I end up there for a while, a nicer 4x4 with solid axles, a good support system in that country, and a V8 or diesel wouldn't be to bad. No one can argue with their 4x4 capabilities. Still, they sit rather low for my tastes. Need bigger tires.

I'm thinking Land and Range Rovers from the 90's and Defender 90's and 110's.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 09:24 PM

Re: Lifts for Rovers?

You should look into ARB Old Man Emu suspension lifts. They only offer a 2.5 to 3 inch lift but that seems to get people by down in Australia. Old Man Emu (OME) are very well built and you can't go wrong using their stuff. ARB also has a very nice setup for Safari Snorkels and other really cool gear.

Dave

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Yeah, OME is in New Zealand too. Forgot about that. Duh![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Have to see. Would like to fit 33's or so. Dunno if that's enough.

Definately getting a snorkle.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2001, 01:51 PM

I am pretty sure it will allow you to fit 33's. Some people think the springs are to soft. Then again those folks do not own OME suspensions. Everyone I know or have ever met that use the OME suspensions, no matter what rig... Land Cruiser, Samurai, etc.. Have had nothing but good things to say. Some systems are not cheap. And the lift is small compared to what most North Americans (Mex/USA/Canada) want that monster truck look. Anyway I think you would be very pleased using OME. We are going to be gearing up a Samurai with OME here real soon. But I am also speaking with a woman about buying her 1989 FJ62 so it might curb the suspension kit for a month or two. I will also use OME on the FJ62. After we finally get our engineering degree's out of the way we will be buying a 1993 Defender 110 series and that too will be setup using OME. Man I wish we had the money now cause there is a sweet 110 forsale locally. Only 40K USD. There were only 500 of these sent to the States and they are all numbers. This one sports the number 495/500. I think....havent looked at it in a few days. Real clean rig.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I think I've seen stock Defenders with 33x12.5's on them in my NZ4WD (New Zealand 4 Wheel Drive) magazines. So who knows, with a few inches of lift, it just could fit those tires. I prefer the low lift & as big of tires as possible setup myself. There's a Defender 90 in an issue of NZ4WD that has 35x12.5R15 BFG MT's on, and I'd be amazed if it has more than 3" of lift. Tires are very close to the fenders (guards as they call them over there[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) though, not much flex, more of a mud machine.

This truck would be in New Zealand, so OME and a few other brands that are uncommon or just not here would be a good option. ARB, OME, TJM, and lots others. Sort of home town heros over there.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I worked in a Land Rover dealership here in San Diego for a year. I saw several Defender 90's, but in that entire year I saw 1 Defender 110. Interestingly, I also saw a Defender 130.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Now THAT is rare here. You want to realize how screwed we are on the Rovers over here? Go to http://www.Autopoint.co.nz, click on the Used Cars link, and look for Land Rovers. There was an immaculate 1999 2.5L diesel Defender 110 for sale there last week. Owner wanted right around $40,000 NZ for it. Not a bad price, eh? Now remember that $1 NZ = $0.41 US.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] We're getting screwed here in the USA on Rovers. Not to mention it takes forever to get parts, and they cost a gazillion to maintain. Neither of those is as big of an issue over there, where Land Rover is setup very well in NZ.

Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode