wolf - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Land Rover Discusssion of all things Land Rover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

wolf

does anybody know where could i wound more information about that car (wolf), its military land rover, i quess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 09:04 AM
Addict

Re: wolf

Hi, nice to see someone else using this forum. Here's a site http://4wd.sofcom.com/LandRover/Landy.html that has a lot of Rover info, military and otherwise etc. Surf around on the links and you'll get a lot of 4X4 history in general. Didn't see anything specific to "wolf." But maybe you'll see what you're looking for.

Jeff

Why drive a luxo-box SUV when you can lay in the dirt busting your knuckles under old iron? '77 CJ-5, '64 S2A Land Rover
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am zuki-dude from estonia. I have heard that there is somekind of military Land Rover, named "Wolf". It seems that car is pretty mystery, no information anywhere, just some pics. I am curious what kind of axles it is using, some people told that same axles whats Volvo C303 (Laplander) http://www.4wdonline.com/Volvo/C303.html I asked info from local Land rover agency but they were dark as I.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 06:10 PM
Addict

Do you have pictures that you can post of the "wolf?" It would be interesting to see. Thanks.

Why drive a luxo-box SUV when you can lay in the dirt busting your knuckles under old iron? '77 CJ-5, '64 S2A Land Rover
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 08:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

jes i have but its in magazine so it takes while i can scan it (i dont have scanner) but i think that that pic wound not help, car is mostly under water only faces and snorkel.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 09:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

Check out Land Rover enthuiast magazine. The manager of the dealership I'm remodeling gives them to me now & then. Some of them have articles on old or rare Rovers.

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
<font color=red>Build it; Don't buy it...</font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 03:58 PM
Old Hand

Hi y'all,

Let me just help you out. Wolf is a mil spec Land Rover used for competition by military teams (mainly time trials). It is a normal mil spec 90 or 110, tweaked for these events. I should have some pics in one of my Landy mags. I'll have a sniff around when I've got a minute.

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 in Land Rover Country

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 03:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi y'all (practicing my accent). The 'Wolf' is more correctly known as the Defender XD (for extra duty). About 8000 have been sold to the British army to replace old SIII Lightweights and Defender 90 and 110 n/a diesels. The main differences between this vehicle and the 110 300tdi I own are:
Strengthened chassis, especially at the back
Strong hoops which act as a roll-over bar
2 spare wheels can be carried on the side of the vehicle, bolted to the roll-over bar
PVC 'solid' canopy
Strange looking intake in the normal 300tdi position which is supposed to keep water out.
Much strengthened radiator surround.
What looks like a bigger oil cooler
'Wolf wheels': these are 6.5J x 16, made out of 6mm steel and have ventilation holes in. (I have a set of these on my 110). These wheels are incredibly strong, just don't drop one on your foot!

They come in 90" and 110" sizes, light and medium duty. The heavy duty tender (to replace the 101" V8 gun tractor) was won by the Czech Haflinger. Land Rover did not want to tender for that one (knowing they would lose) and it was for only about 400 vehicles anyway.

The latest ambulance is also a 300tdi-engined Defender, this time a 130". The body is by Marshalls of Cambridge.

Note that the British Forces have a 'diesels only' policy and are even developing a diesel motor-bike to make it a clean sweep.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 07:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

thanks for the info. i think diesel is a NATO thing.

<font color=blue>Tom Klippenstein</font color=blue>
often money is the conduit for people to show how stupid they really are.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode