1999 Range Rover with ticking/tapping noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Land Rover Discusssion of all things Land Rover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 09:18 PM
chaunceyboyblu

1999 Range Rover with ticking/tapping noise

Hello - I have a 1999 Range Rover that had an engine replaced under warranty almost 3 years ago. The new engine has about 20k miles on it now and about 3-4 weeks ago we started to notice a ticking/tapping noise at idle. It drives just fine and you can only hear the noise when you are not in the car or the window is down at a drive-thru etc. Any ideas as to what this could be? Our mechanic friend in Virginia says that the valves are hydraulic, so there is no adjusting them. That it could possibly be a bad lifter? It does not do it when you first crank it up - when the engine is cold, but always does it at idle when it is warm. It seems to cycle a bit - louder amd softer and then not at all. Any ideas or insigt would be greatly appreciated! It seems that every time we take it to the dealer they just screw it up and there is no where close by to take it. Also, anybody had problems with filling these up with gas? It really is a drag when it is -10 degrees outside and you have to keep wrestling with the gas pump because it keeps clicking off. This is our 6th Land Rover and we love them, but have had the fuel problem on 2 of them now. Any suggestions or advice to either problem would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:32 PM
honey7814

Re: 1999 Range Rover with ticking/tapping noise

Ok, I'm pretty sure you just have a sticky lifter. I had the same issue with my 2000 Disco. Hopefully that is the case then it's not to hard to deal with. As for the pumping gas, well I have the same issue. What I have learned is that if you stick the nozzle in all the way and push it towards the back it will usually pump the entire tank without stopping and making you jump out! Hope this helps!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 06:45 PM
chaunceyboyblu

Thanks for the reply. What did they do to your Disco to remedy the sticky lifter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 06:21 PM

Well I have never seen a lifter stick on this motor. The problem with your tapping is more than likely your rockers are worn, they dont take long to wear out. No you cannot adjust your lifters on these engines. I would start with your rocker shafts and then move to your lifters. Well I hope this helps.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode