Defender 90???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Land Rover Discusssion of all things Land Rover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 12:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Defender 90????

Im a big chevy guy but I found this 1994 defender 90. Its in very good shape with a new winch and 265/75 BFG Mud terrains.

My question is, Is hard to find parts for them and is it expensive to fix if something was to break. And what are the weak points on them and what do i need to look out for before purchasing it. I drove it around for awhile and it drives good and the motor is strong. I dont plan on doing a whole lot of mods to it, I just want it to take hunting and driving around.

If anyone knows anything about them please let me know!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:22 PM
jeepfiend

Re: Defender 90????

Rover parts are a little more expensive, mostly because there is really no aftermarket parts for them in the US. There are a lot of tune up items (fuel filters, spark pulgs, etc) and that sort of thing, that are common with other vehicles. Plus, the D90's share a few parts with the Disco's especially where the engine is concerned. D90's are SWEET!, but is it really worth it? You can pick up a 97-04 Wrangler for less than you will pay for the D90 and get almost the same off-road performance, and more parts availibility. Not quite the same off road, but almost the same. With a few modifications, the Wrangler will easily hang wtih the defender. But, if money is no object, go with the rover, they are sweet and there are not many of them around. As far as weak points, never overheat it!! It is an all aluminum engine, if you overheat it, good-bye engine. Fortunately, Bosch has a short block for around $1300 so it is not terrible, but heads are not cheap. I have a '97 disco and it is great, but it is a little finicky. But for a really nice and unique awesome off-road rig, right out of the box, it is hard to beat D90. If you buy it and get tired of it, I will swap you my Jeep and my Discovery for it [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] By the way, what are they asking, if it is under $25,000 it is not a bad price for a Defender. Oh, one other thing, look at the steering, if the box is leaking excessively, there is a good chance it will need to be replaced. They always seep, but if it is dripping it could be close to death. And for what Defenders go for, they had better be in good shape. As far as getting parts, the internet is your best friend. I have saved over $150 for one part over the dealer cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode