Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Land Rover (https://forums.off-road.com/land-rover/)
-   -   Tell me about my Discovery (https://forums.off-road.com/land-rover/109515-tell-me-about-my-discovery.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 02-27-2002 09:34 PM

Tell me about my Discovery

I recently bought a '95 Discovery and was looking to get some information from previous owners or at least more knowledgeable people (than myself of course). I just had a few questions. What is the most common component that is broken while wheeling? The front axle appears to have joints somewhat similar to old Toyotas. What kind of lifts do you guys run? I have seen Safari Gard's, but that's it. What about lockers? I see a lot of ARB's on Disco's, has anyone tried other types? I've got 235/70R16 tires on right now...What's the biggest that will fit on a stock Disco. Also one last question. This may sound stupid, but what is the exact model? I just assumed it was a Discovery Series II, but on other sites they are assigning that badge to all sorts of rovers including defenders and range's. Any help on these questions would be appreciated.

'75 CJ5, 350 V8, 35"BFG MT's.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-02-2002 05:23 PM

Re: Tell me about my Discovery

Your vehicle is a Discovery I. Discovery II launched in 1999 mid-year. If you want to lift it- go with Old Man
Emu springs. medium-duty lift around 2-3 inches and allow
245/75r16 tires to be fitted any thing bigger requires much modification. The only lockers I have seen on land rovers are ARB air-lockers but others may be out there.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-09-2002 07:55 PM

Have fun trying to find off road equiptment in the states. Serouisly though, your best starting place for a land rover is... land rover. Land rover britian has modified thier vehicles more ways than can be counted in two lifetimes. Start at your dealership in the service department, preferably with someone who knows what they are talking about. And look for australian/european companies. Few if any US companies make aftermarket parts, but in australia parts come a dime a dozen.

**DONOTDELETE** 04-12-2002 10:08 AM

suftroml has it all wrong. There are some fine LR parts guys in the US and stay away from the dealer at all costs.

Come pay us a visit in the LR forum at www.pirate4x4.com

OS

**DONOTDELETE** 04-19-2002 09:00 PM

Maybe you don't get the lucky dealers. At LR north point in GA I met a guy that is now working on the camel team. You can't just walk up to the sales man. Ask the guy in the back that takes the stuff out. Two years ago two of the service guys and the owner took some brand new range rovers across the street to a construction site and blasted around it just for fun. The owner of this dealership owns one of the great divide range rovers as well as a camel trophy disco. And insofar as the dealership not knowing much, I will go no further than to tell you it is LAND ROVER ITSELF that outfits camel trophy vehicles. Everything on a camel trophy disco can be ordered from the factory on a civvy disco. Its just going to cost a small fortune to bring it across the ocean. Oh, and who here saw tomb raider??? Remember that sweet defender that Lara Croft drove??? That was built by land rover. And Judge dredd??? Those wierd boxy cars??? Land rovers. Land rover can hook you up. You just havta remember to ask them for the stuff from britian. Land rover north america is staffed by dolts. It took them 6 weeks of hunting before they called me to tell me they couldn't find a roll cage to replace the one in my 90. I called my uncle in england, he drove to the dealership there, gave them my number, they called me, i told them what I had, and they had it to me in a week and a half.

**DONOTDELETE** 03-06-2003 03:24 AM

Hooch 12-16-2003 12:43 PM

Yes absolutely right. You break your neck over the Land Rover stuff here. What is wrong with us guys??? You own Land Rovers wth problems gittin' parts and I own a Jeep CJ-7.... Go figure [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I just blew my Torqueflite 999 tranny... Try to get parts over here in the U.K. fo that [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

If any of you ever get stuck for hard to get parts, drop me a line. My mates place resembles a Land Rover junk yard and I work for the World leading Land Rover Engine remanufacturer Turner Engineering so engine parts are no problem..

I am actually looking to buy either a Discovery at the moment or maybe a 90... Nobody said you can't have a Jip and a Landy...