Kia - my opinion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Kia, All Discussion of the Kia Off-Road Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2001, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kia - my opinion

First, I gotta say that I'm not much into imports. I've had 4 Jeeps, but I've knocked it down to just one for now. My folks have a Kia and so does my sister. They drive it everyday. The only problem they've had is the check engine light came on because they didn't close the gas cover tight enough to make a good vacuum. One has 20000 miles, the other only about 10 or 15. They are not hardcore offroaders, in fact, they don't offroad at all. They just wanted a 4wd vehicle to survive our NE winter weather and snow. They're little nimble vehicles that do great in the snow, btw. I agree that they're ugly and plastic but they do run pretty well as far as I can tell. It drives alot faster then my 4 cyl Jeep Wrangler, yet no one calls it slow and worthless. The point is, they're built for a purpose, and they're aimed toward a certain group of people. Most people on this site are into offroading, most hardcore offroading. Obviously, don't buy one if you plan on going to the rubicon...buy it if you're looking for a little cheap 4x4...BTW, their company is doing surprisingly well...I wouldn't worry about bankruptcy anytime soon. They have at least 3 new vehicles on the horizon. just my opinion.

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Kia - my opinion

Ahile back my daughter and her husband were thinking of buying a KIA. I was against it 100% and asked some of the guys who post here on these boards for some pictures of Kia's after accidents. Fortuneately some of the guy's posted pictures which if you do a search you should be able to find,Kia's are death traps if you are in an accident I showed my daughter and her husband and they changed thier minds.Although I feel sure that you are right that they are good in the snow, I wouldn't want any of my family driving or rideing in them.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 07:20 PM
Mud in my Veins

I can show you several pictures of a '02 Ford Explorer with it's roof ripped off. Completely gone above the plane of the hood. Wouldn't have wanted my family to be riding in that either. Pictures don't prove anything unless you know the story behind them, I beleive that was brought up in that post.

Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 10:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AJM as you mentioned that waas brought up in that post, but as I recall many of the picture did have the story with them. And the point is over all not in each specific case which is the better vehicle?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 11:27 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Whichever vehicle has the full roll cage tied into the frame is "better"... Other than that, nothing is going to do great in a lot of accidents... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Race proven technology has got to make it's way into autos. Things like 4 or 5pt harnesses, and cages. Most people don't want that little bit of inconvenience those provide, and don't even think about how dangerous it might be without them... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Especially the smaller vehicles... </font>

Tim "Sandman"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 03:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sandman you are absolutely right but I doubt you'll ever see 40 or 5 point harnesses in production autos for a couple of reasons one being cost that would be passes onto the consumer and people would not like them because they are more restrictive than three point seat belts. Your idea about built in cages would be a good one even if it were offered as an option in the beginning. Then there would be more of them around so that studies could be done on vehicles in accidents that have cages as opposed to vehicles in accidents that don't have cages which would evbentually lead to cages in all vehicles.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 10:56 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I'd think without the improved harnesses, just having a cage in there won't help much at all... I'm thinking of putting a set of those in my little S truck with a cage of some sort. Need to do some interior mods to fit that ok though. One thing I don't get at all is why 4 and 5 point harnesses are currently not considered DOT legal. That's ridiculous. Ludicrous in fact. The public would hate not having the ability to lean over and play with the radio, the passengers or whatever other crap they might have in there. They seem to like being distracted from driving, thinking they're driving a phone booth or a hotel or something...

A good set of harnesses for the car would tack on about $400 for the cost of harnesses (actually that's the price you or I would pay from a store, I'm sure with all the power one of the big auto makers have, they could get a massive "group discount" type thing and probably wind up with a lot of them for very little money each). It wouldn't be too hard to design mounts for the harnesses into the design of the vehicle. After all they still have to design mounts for the 3 pt harnesses.

But none is all that good without the other... I mean the harnesses would be good but what good does it do if the passenger area/cab collapses on you, and what good is a cage since it'll keep the passenger area from collapsing but you'll get flung around more violently (since it won't collapse which would absorb quite a bit of energy) and whack your head on it if you're not in a good harness...

I don't think they need to bother with a study like that... Just look at the racing world.. Where else can you have a 15 to 20 car pileup at well over 100 miles/hour where everybody has about a 99% or higher chance of surviving? Just compare something like that to the current cars which people currently die a lot more often at far lower speeds. Just have to compare the ratios of # of racers vs racing accidents/deaths and # of regular road drivers vs regular deaths/accidents... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I bet we'll find that relatively the racers are safer due to better safety stuff/technology.

The only two things standing in the way of this are (as I see it) the public (won't like the space it takes up or the inconvenience of the harnesses) and the auto makers themselves. More complexity, etc. However, I bet they could add a cage in a vehicle at least a passenger area cage for $1000 to $1500 after initial setup of equipment, etc... That'd be an option that I can't see people possibly wanting to go without. The public seems to like things to make them "feel" safe, so it'd be hard to tell how they'd embrace something that would make them actually safe.

Only possible downside to it that I can think of is the drivers will become emboldened by the added safety equipment (the stupid ones anyhow) and take more risks, etc. I guess we could always find them and shoot them... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 04:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sandman I'm not disputing the fact that you are 100% right they don't actually need to do a study but the auto makers won't do this on thier own, so the goverment would have to get involved and thats the way they operate slow and unnessary red tap and expense. And like you said every body seems to want to do evry thing in the world but pay attension to what thier doing while they're driving and none of the auto makers want to be first one to put in a restaint system that limits these morons from shaving, doing thier finger nails or what ever else they are doing that should have done at home in the first place.Because the auto makers are affraid that it would hurt sales and they are most likely right.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 07:17 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I think we should try and petition the Gov't to make things like shaving, nails, etc illegal. Period. Treat it as "assault with a deadly weapon" or something... People are also too stupid to determine that a vehicle is a several thousand pound guided missile although it doesn't explode, still more dangerous than an arsenal of guns... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The public seems to refuse to believe it...

On the other hand I like that idea. Don't make the other peoples' vehicles more structurally rigid, etc... That way it'll just help increase our chances of survival if we install the safety equipment on our own... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unforunately will never get the goverment to make laws like no shaving or doing your nails while driving because thier guilty of doing these things.
And man are you ever right about a car being a weapon,maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to make them stronger and turn the morons lose with vehicles that could do a lot more damage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode