Kia's are OK - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Kia, All Discussion of the Kia Off-Road Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kia\'s are OK

Good offroader. Don't have to be ashamed of running the trails in one of these. Take it through a 3 1/2 food pond and the jaws will drop and the heads will shake!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47-310462-DownHill2.jpg (75.4 KB, 69 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 09:50 PM

Re: Kia\'s are OK

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I'd like to know a few things about "taking it through a 3 1/2 foot pond" with a Kia. First of all what do you do about the computer crap in it that's sure to fry when you get it in water that deep? Is it mounted to the roof or under the dash like most vehicles? Second how do you keep from drowning and hydrolocking the engine. I don't see a snorkel anywhere on it. Just some questions and thoughts.</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 11:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Take a look at the pic. This jeep has at least a 6" lift and 35" tires. I took this from the cab of my Kia about a month ago. I followed him though with no problem. Just so you know I serious.

The computer in inside the cab in the dash. Under the hood, everything is mounted high so only splash from the fan
gets to it. The air intake is is good design. The front of the hood that curves down blocks water away from the intake.
The "/" is the hood, "---" is the intake, so you have "/---". The intake is about 6" wide, and 2" high. It opening is cut on a slant like this "/". When it interacts with the hood, which is very close to it, it sucks air from the engine compartment which is supplied at the bottom of the windshield. The intake airflow also starts high, goes down to the air filter box(which has holes in the bottom), then goes up to the engine.

Since the tranny is mounted high under the chasis, an air pock forms there to keep water out of it. I haven't figured out the diffs yet. But never had to waterproof.

When in deep and the water is comming over the hood, water flows down the fire wall. If you keep moving, and as long as you maintain the air pock in the engine compartment, it is no problem. If you do get stuck, shut it off.

I'm asked this all the time. Sometimes I meet up with some custom jeeps and I join up with them. Everybody who is serious, always heads toward the ponds. I have to stop and open up the hood and they give it a look over.

Really, Kia put a lot of good though and design in it where it counts. The only serious issue with this vehicle is clearence. But I have to believe they did this to reduce the center of gravity due to the high mounted components, and the flexy suspension.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47-311631-Jeep5.jpg (58.8 KB, 43 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 02:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not rying to be picky but there is one more serious issue and that is getting the KIA to where you intend to off road have you seen the picture here of KIAs here and other places that have been in accidents,they look like they where bombed or something I sure wouldn't want to travel any where in one.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 08:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, I've seen the pics but if you look hard enough you can find stuff like that on any vehicle. Bigger is not always better and we all need to take responsibility for our actions.

Accidents are complicated. Dependent on area of impact, speed, what you hitting etc., they are unpredictable in the real world. Any vehicle can total another, while receiving only minor damage if the impact is right. The lastest pics of the Ford Explorer are even worse. People do not realize that every vehicle on the road is a projectile...a potential weapon.

I don't see brute force as a measure to protect one's self. The key is to avoid it. I prefer control. Being able to execute the last moment manuver is key and the Kia gives that to me. Besides, the smaller vehicle gives me more operating room in my lane of travel and the view from the cab is excellent.

If I worried about accidents all the time, I wouldn't drive or maybe I drive a tank. What I do worry about is being on my toes and seeing the big picture. That will do more to save my life than any vehicle can.

Have a good and enjoy.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 03:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Taking responsibility for you actions doesn't have a thing in the world to do with it you can be the best driver in the country and some dumb ass can still run into you, me personaly I'd rather take my chances in a larger vehicle they are almost always stronger.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, I understand and respect your opinion. I agree with on the bigger vehicle. But a long as I wheelin', small it is.
Just gotta get down those narrow trails. Yea! Yea! I know... I can't straddle those big rocks...well maybe I can
squeeze between them

Take careee...good talking to ya.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes i do agree that on the trail small can definately be an advantage, but just realisticly look at how much of the time you spend driving on city streets and other paved roads compared to how much time you spend actually driving on trails etc.That is considering that the Kia is your primary mode of transportation.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 07:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Now that you mention it it's about 50/50 in so far as time goes. But haven't been out too much lately since the ponds are icy or frozen. Ice can slice like glass! Really tough to get out of sometimes too. Well...the nice thing about driving small is that you move around in tight areas, fairly quickly, get around that accident that stopped traffic, or correct that "Oops, went the wrong way" mistake. Lugging around 4300 pounds, I out match most cars, so I give the other 30% a little extra attention.

Have a good one...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nope...They're not bad at all...
http://joer4x4.homestead.com/index.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode