OT Steel building VS Stick built - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

OT Steel building VS Stick built

For those that have done it. A garage/shop is on the horizon, finally. It will not be used for parking cars (running cars anyway). I can comfortably fit a 25 X 30 building. I have no restrictions with the exception of standard building codes; 10 feet off of property lines, etc. I got some quotes on steel buildings and they all seem to be in the $5,000.00 to 6,000.00 range, delivered, but does not include garage door, entry door or any windows. The pad will run me about $2,000.00. I'm figuring 8 to 9 grand by the time it's done. Seems high. I was hoping to do it for half of that.

Preference isn't an issue - I'd be happy with either structure; steel or stick.

I have not yet priced out lumber for a stick-built unit but it's got to be less expensive. I have framing skills and plan on doing all of the construction on my own. I know Tom just built one - anyone else that I can compare dollars to?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 12:10 PM

Re: OT Steel building VS Stick built

Finally got my dream garage (well, at least the realistic version of it) finished up right before Christmas. It's 24x32, with a double wide door on one end, extra tall ceilings & doors for lifted vehicles (and busses), and a walkup attic. The place I went with I chose because they handled it all - from permits all the way through. Believe me, they earned it dealing with all the [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] from the City zoning people. They also handled financing in-house.
It's basically come out to $250/month for the next 20 years, which is about a car payment...not too bad. I think it's about $32k all together, but that's with some options.
Then my dad came up for a weekend, and we wired it up for outlets, lights, and 220 outlets. That was about $700 in materials on top of everything else.
I'll get some pictures together one of these days. It's great - I was just out there last night working on the commando - inside, not too cold, smooth concrete floor, bright florescent lights, and I could just leave everything there and lock the door when done - didn't have to pack everything up...I'm thrilled with it.
I could have done it piece by piece, or built a lot more of it myself, since I've done construction, but I wanted it DONE so I could use it...didn't want to irk every single one of my buddies calling up every weekend - " Hey, want to come help me frame? Roof?" etc...
just my thoughts...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 02:26 PM

Well finally got my garage too it's 30x50 all steel 12 foot sidewall so i can put a two post lift in it and it's got two 10x10 doors and i put 12x30 loft on on end i think it cost about $3000 for the concrete floor and $13000 for the building all put up and about $1500 for all wired up with 220 and some good florescent lights i didn't put any windows in in my last shop because they just got broke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My city wont allow steel buildings, and with the earthquakes we have here, I had to do 40" deep footings with 1" threaded rod to keep the walls down. The threaded rod is 36" long and they made me use a ton of rebar. Damn codes keep changing. They even made me put huricane straps to hold the roof on. We've never had a huricane here, that I know of and I've been here 40 years. Anyway here is a pic of my backyard.

One of my wife trying out the tractor I rented to dig the footings. This lasted about 15minutes until she went back to watching the Lifetime channel or painting her nails or something.

Heres my framing, every nail put in by me on weekends and nights after work. The only help I had was a concrete pumper guy and two of my friends who helped finish the concrete before it dried on me. Then when I needed it, they came and helped me lift the 4x12x20foot long beams into place.

I even roofed it before the rain started. I should have used some help framing the roof, that was probably the hardest part. You are trying to throw a 2x10 x 14foot up on the roof, then haul your ass up there and try to nail it in place, You are up 15' on a ladder, hey, I didn't fall.

Started waterproofing and putting up the trim for siding.

Siding going in.

So this is as far as I got. I've got two back to back 16wide by 10 high rollup doors and one 8 wide by 10 high on the other side.
I've got the underground sewer in, and have framed in a bathroom inside. Maximum size of a detached building in my city is 600sqft. I wanted about 1000, but I couldn't get them to go along. I built it a few inches here and there larger and taller where I could, the inspector never pulled out a tape measure yet. My permit expired last month, and I've renewed it a week ago. They'll only do that once though. So I need to finish in the next 6 months. I've got the rough elect in, but no power yet. You can see my 10 guage 100'foot extention cord I've been working off of. Its 20x30x15 with 10' high walls
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 07:55 PM

I got a steel 24x30, cost me 3500 a year ago without slab.

cold in winter, hot in summer, noisy in rain and of course too small. I really like it but if I had to do over. It would be concrete block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1383029-shop6004.jpg (169.4 KB, 78 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 08:47 PM

I built a shop about 2 years ago. I went with the pole barn style for ease and lower cost. Mine is 32x48 with 14ft. wall height. I have a 16x12 rollup on one end and a 12x12 rollup on the other end. I have a 3ft. entry door and 2ft tall translucent panels full length along the top of the side walls. 110 outlets all over and 4 220 outlets scattered around so I can get my welder where I need it. I did all the work except pour the concrete and hang the doors. It cost me just a shade under 10 grand. Of course it's already too small. I'm gonna add another 20ft to the width as soon as I can.
Dave
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 09:24 PM

$250 x 12 months = $3000 x 20 years = $60000. pay that sucker off quick, i'm guessing half of that is intrest.
i got a 22ft X 8ft crate that was used to ship banding equipment from switzerland, i picked up for free. now i just need to put it back together. it's not a work garage but it will keep the john deer and the artic cat dry.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 11:05 PM

Put up a US steel bldg, 24x40, $6200, slab $6000, doors $ 700----

LEGAL FEES $52000

Homeowners assoc didn't like, went to court, now have most expensive garage in the county!!

Would do it again, steel is the only answer, besides it really po's the a** holes on the board!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

So you built without getting approvals first?
Then had to fight to keep it?
And they let you?
Please elaborate.
I wanted to do steel as well, but I couldn't get a permit to do so.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 10:22 PM

Elaborating on the 52K legal fees:
Contacted the ONLY person responsible for "approval"
Phone disconnected
Contacted President of assoc, didn't say yes or no, so got approved bldg permit from county.
Put bldg up in one day, approved by county next day, rec'd attorney letter 3 days later to remove.
Took 2 years in District Court, NOTHING in covenants prohibiting steel bldgs, 7 others in subdivision at the time, only 1 had approval!
See what happens when Pres owns (not lives), across street!
This subdivision 3 miles out of town (population less than 10), surrounded by ranches, barns, steel bldgs,etc., NOT visible from street!
Sure was an exciting homeowners meeting after court case settled!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode