Fozzy Locker vs. Just Plain Welded? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeepster-American Jeepster Club Please also visit our club web site for more information at http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Fozzy Locker vs. Just Plain Welded?

Okay, I know Hurc is the fozzy locker guy here, and he's not here, but can someone else tell me the advantages to having a fozzy locker vs. just welding the spider gears together?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 07:44 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Fozzy Locker vs. Just Plain Welded?

I thought they were the same thing using different names. No?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 08:09 AM
Pooh-Bah

I think the "fozzy locker" only fills the welds in some of the teeth on the spider gears. Welded won't let it move at all. I think the Fozzy locker gives a little bit of movement. Its up for debate as to which is better. I could see benefits of either setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

That's what I'm wondering - what are the benefits of just filling in a few of the teeth? Is it that you can still take out the spider gears later? Is there some benefit to it being able to give?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 08:52 AM
Mud in my Veins

Like I said, welded is welded. Whether you you just weld the spiders together, you weld the spiders to the case, or both....it's the same thing (only different [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
And since we're on the topic, I may weld mine up this weekend at URE. One of my buds has a MobiArc welder on his TJ and said we'll do it if I'd like. He's probably welded almost as many diffs as Toad...maybe [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. What's the concensus of the "best way" of the three methods above?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I think with the fozzy locker you don't weld the spider gears together, you just fill in some of the teeth on each spider gear so that they can no longer turn. Hence, the give when they try to turn.

With straight welded you do what you said - either weld the spider gears to each other or weld them to each other and to the case.

Another recommendation that I've found if you're welding the spider gears together is to grind flat spots onto the outside edges of the spiders and then weld a piece of flat stock in too for strength. So, there's another way to do it I guess.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 11:34 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

I've never heard of the "fozzy" locker. If you decide to go this way .... how about some photos?
But I do know that back in the 60's we welded the spider gears together and then welded a piece of flat stock in for added strength (like Joel said) or maybe it was just for extra weight? This was on 'home built dragsters' (funny cars weren't around yet). I don't recall ever breaking one.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:23 PM

weld the spiders together and to the carrier. anything else will break. i would recommend against using a mobile welder, there not hot enough and it will take more time than you think to get everything clean, before and after. taking the gears out and using a big MIG, turned up really hot is the best way.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:53 PM

Dave, are you going to URE this weekend? I'm only an hour away, maybe I'll join you. What, when, who and where??
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 06:10 PM
Mud in my Veins

Yes Tom, heading to URE this Friday until Monday (Sunday AM if my wife doesn't go)with a bunch of jarhead buddies from eastern NC. Camping at Arrowhead CG site #50 (they've got 46-49?. Look for several BIG YJs, TJs, & a M-715 dwarfing the Mossy ....thats us) We'll probably run around URE trails (night runs too[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]), but there's rumor of some private land w/ big hills and mud nearby. Regardless of where we ride, it looks to be rather "damp" [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img](according to the weatherman) and good wheeling.

I'd give you my cell #, but it dies right after Thomasville [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. If you make it down and don't see me, ask around for the Commando. RQ said he might join also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode