airdown made easy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 08:16 AM
sas87yj

airdown made easy

after airing down by holding the valve stem in with a small screwdriver for a while now, i finally bought this little $10 tool that makes the task QUICK and EASY. i recommend it highly if you don't have one yet. i have used the more expensive $50 goodie that you can pre-set the air pressure that you want to air down to but DON'T get that one. hey- you don't always run down to the same pressure- at least i don't, depending on the difficulty of the run. also i found the "pre-set" type don't always work if the tire you put it on is already aired down some.

$10-------well worth it. it works so fast that by the time you connect them all the first tire is just about aired down. i had to practically run to get them on in time!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-631051-airdown.JPG (12.8 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 08:46 AM

Re: airdown made easy

I have a set kinda like those, but they have a valve core remover on one end, and screw on air release at the other. They dont all screw together like that though.
When I air down, I walk around the rig attaching air release side on the stems of the first 3 tires. Then I remove the core on the 4th tire, and air it down quickly, while the others continue to air down slower through air release side. This way as I get to each of the next tires, they are at a progressively lower pressure. It all goes pretty quick. About 5 minutes from, 30 psi to 5 psi on the 38.50x14.50 tires. When I was running 35" tires, I used to just do two at a time or the last one would be too low when I got to it.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 01:21 AM
tdog90yj

I thats the tool. My Girlfriend wanted to get me those for christmas. She said she saw them in one of my jeep mags but couldnt remember where. Kind sir do tell where one could aquire said annodized jeepstuff. Seriously Steve where can i find those. She looked all over town. I said prolly flynhi but they looked at her like she was crazy.
thanks. hope you had a merry merry

Travis
Lots of goodies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 06:35 AM
sas87yj

http://www.sunperformance.com

they are out of irvine, ca- took less than a week to get.
part #QD001B
comes in silver or blue
i've seen them in other catalogs but i believe this is the manufacturer.

i'm not getting this site to come up- phone#949-588-8567
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 11:54 AM

I saw some guys that had drilled their wheels and installed drain-cocks. Ya know kinda like the ones on the bottom of the ol' radiator. Looked like a pretty sweet setup. Combined with a clip on type gauge, made for a very fast and easy air down setup.

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

for those who would trade a little freedom,
for a little security
...will soon find they have neither. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I've had a set of those for quite a while. Work great. You just put the first one on all the way, the other three just leaking a little, get the first one where you want it, take the deflater off, go to the next one, screw it on all the way, and onward. Takes a lot less time and is safer than the old way of removing the valve core.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:38 PM

Here is another blind shot in the dark....

Why don't you use a clip on air chuck. It lets the air out as fast as it lets air in.
If you really want to get tricky, use a clip on air chuck attached to a pop-off valve set to what ever your target pressure is.
(So it closes at 10 PSI or what ever...)

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 12:56 PM
Pooh-Bah

Aaron-
I was out on the trail with a guy that did that. He had it on a short piece of air hose with the male end fitting. He could attach it to the oba airline for rapid filling, or to an adjustable valve for deflation.

<font color=purple>pbm</font color=purple>
<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 01:14 PM

I thought maybe there was some fundamental reason you couldn't do that...

I don't rock climb, it was just a passing though for those that do.
I love those clamp on air chucks! They saved me tons of time and aggravation.
We had to make pop-offs for 105 PSI for the big truck tires to keep the truck driving 'geniuses' from blowing tires right off the rims. We just used a compressor tank automatic pop-off valve.
Makes lots of noise and lets 'Willie Lump-Lump' know it's time to take the air hose off....

With a cut off long valve stem (like from a big truck) they make a pretty good improvised blow gun that stores really well in a travel tool box.
-------------

You can blow the crap out of float toys at the lake with one though!
I fill float toys off my scuba tank and regulator on the boat.
I was talking trash to a little bikini clad beauty in a slip across the dock from us, and blew an inner tube an pull sleave to kingdom come!
Like to scared the yellow water out of me...
Hard to look cool with your tube is scattered all over the dock, and you just dived for cover screaming 'IN COMING'![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

So many cats, so few recipes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode