Adjusted the gears, is this better?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Adjusted the gears, is this better??

Worked on the gears some more last night and by moving the pinion closer to the ring gear and opening the backlash a little (it's now .008"), I've got the drive side perfectly centered from face to flank, but the coast side looks a little funny to me. Is this OK, or should I change something else?

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 02:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Adjusted the gears, is this better??

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is the coast side closer to the face? If it is, then move the pinion in one more time and see if the pattern gets any worse.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 02:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That looks perfect to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 02:58 PM

Looks like a little to much toe!

Rodney C
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 03:33 PM

ROFLMAO, Looks like you got a unanimous decision! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I always thought setting up gears was some kind of vodoo witchcraft thing. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I can't wait until I try my first set! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I hope everyone will give me their opinion also.

Good Luck Derek!

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing, IMO the backlash is a little large, still barely within tolerance. I like to set it as close as I can get it to the bottom end of the tolerance, especially if using a locker.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The backlash spec for a D44 is 6-10 thou. You're right in the middle of that which is good.

Don't worry about the pattern being close to the heel or toe. Housings are line bored. The housing alignment and the position of the pinion bearing bore determines where the pattern is positioned from heel to toe. You can't correct this without machining the housing.

I think your pattern looks very good Derek. The drive side the centered from face to flank and backlash is in spec. Set the pinion bearing preload, carrier preload and check the pattern again. It looks like you've done a nice job and it's good that you are taking your time.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Brad, according to the charts I've got, the backlash is perfect. The specs are 6-10 for a D44, and I'm right in the middle of that. I'm not using a locker, BTW.
Max, the coast side is a little closer to the Flank, but not actually touching it. I've moved the pinion both directions, and that messes up the drive side.
Unless someone sees something real bad wrong, I think I'll put the seal and new nut in tonight and if nothing changes, leave it like it is.

Then, I get to install this thing and change the gears in the front [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In that case I think you're good to go!
One thing you might do after you have installed it and have broken in the gears is while doing that first low mileage oil change is to slap the dial gauge back on and re-check the backlash. I doubt it will change but it's an easy check while you have the cover off. Wouldn't hurt to check for loose ring bolts as well.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry, I was thinking M20, those are usually set at 4-8! Good job. (And yes, Iknow, most spec charts say 6-10 for the M20, but I was taught by a guy that does them a lot and he likes the 20 tighter. In fact, the guy at San Juan College that teaches it says all gears at 4-8, it all depends on who you talk to.)
Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode