Ouestions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 09:34 AM
CRSETH

Ouestions

I just bought an 82 CJ-5 with 6 cyl and a 5 speed trans. The bearings were bad on the axle when I bought it so I did not get a chance to drive it until this morning. I put the moser one piece axle in it and everything seems to be working fine. The axle is a AMC 20 and I think the track-loks' clutchs are going bad. It will spin both tires but while it was on jack stands I could hold one wheel and it would not engage. What is my best and cheapest options. Can you just buy a clutch pack for the trac-lok or would another locker be better. I'll be on the road 80% of the time and no rocks to clime around here just mud. My second question is would it be better to rebuild the 6 with a mild cam or swap it for a 304? What mods would I have to do to put a 304 in it? Would I have to get an adapter to mate it to the 5 speed or would the bellhousing bolt up? The guy I bought it from said it came with a 4 speed in it, is the 5 speed strong enough to hold up to a mild built 304? What transfer case and front axle were avaliable in 82? The rear end gears are 3.31 ratio(way to high). The jeep is very clean it has new paint,Rancho suspension lift,Trailmax Pro seat, tuffy lock boxes,32x11.50 tires and pretty much new everything except the driveline. I'm sorry for being so long winded just happy and needing some answers about my new JEEP!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 12:22 PM

Re: Ouestions

Hey, welcome to the jeep board. There arn't many "lunch box lockers" for the track lock carrier (they don't require gear set up to install) they are just about the same amount of cash as a detriot locker anyways, and the track lock really isn't worth rebuilding. I would say ditch the track lock and get a full detriot it takes a little getting used to but it will kick butt offroad and it is pretty much bullet proof (assumuing you don't want to run 38's and 300+hp), also stich weld the axle tubes to the pumpkin and add a truss. An amc 304, 360, or 401 will almost bolt in with a couple modifications, look on http://www.shortwheelbase.com for a write up in the tech section about swapping a 258 for a 360. The 285 is a great engine when you add a new carb (webber or mc2100) or fuel injection and an upgraded ignition system, they have tons of low end grunt but if you are a mud man you may want some high end power. As for your tranny it's a t-5 not the worst tranny but definetally not the best tranny, i would swap it for a t-18 and dana 20 or a t176 and d300, they are both beefe trannies but the t18 can handle almost anything you throw at it. your current front axle is a dana 30, t5 tranny, and d300 t-case. Sounds like a nice jeep.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode