O/T Liquid Glass to Seal Cracked Head/Block - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

O/T Liquid Glass to Seal Cracked Head/Block

This question is O/T since it's not in a jeep but I think it's a good question for ya'll. I am visiting my family in South Texas for the holidays and I am planning on useing a truck that my mom has. It's an 86 small toyota pickup. There is/was a small leak somewhere on the block or head I am not sure (step-dad could not find the spot where it was leaking, but he could see the water coming down the side of the block) so he poured liquid glass in it and no more problem. Now first off I thought it was a pretty neat trick for a possible trail fix so I plan on carrying some in the jeep, but my question is how safe is this fix I want to use the truck to drive down and see my dad. It's about 40 miles away and that is the longest non stop traveling I will be doing. As usual I am sure the collective opinion of this site will get me through.
Thanks,
Brandon

Born on a mountain raised in a cave Jeepin and Wheelin is all I crave.
85 CJ-7 Nuttered and Growing Strong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: O/T Liquid Glass to Seal Cracked Head/Block

Liquid glass the car wax? Were did he put it? Radiator or oil. Doesnt sound safe, lots of regular block seal chemicals on market but most clog up radiator. Run the truck with radiator cap off and look for exhaust coming out of radiator then check oil for signs of water. That would tell you if the head gasket may be leaking.Good luck. Ps. bring a cell phone and AAA on your trip!

Index of pics
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

I don't think it was the car wax, I will have to ask him more details about it, but they have just left for Houston and now that is my only transportation. Also I will have a cell phone with me but it will only work for the first half of the trip, the last half is too far out in the country. Getting stranded's not a big deal in Texas though, people still stop and help out in the country I am sure it's like that in the country in most states. Thanks for the tip on checking the radiator though I will check that out.
Brandon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 09:54 AM

Liquid glass is a block sealer thats been aound forever. I personally wouldn't recommend it in the auto/light truck application. It's best left for large truck, or equipment with low pressure cooling systems. Even then I have seen it plug up radiators with HUGE dia. tubes. And once it hardens............it's there for good.
Leave it back at the farm for the Farmall H or Ford 8N, not for the jeep.

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

So since it is already in there should I not drive it? What would you recommend? Could it have affected the temp. sending unit so that the guage will not work? If I cannot drive it I will have to look for another option. Let me know,
Brandon

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 06:46 PM

I had a firebird with a leaking head gasket..I believe.It wouldn't quit overheating.
I poured some of that in there and it never overheated again..at least as far as I know until it was sold.
Joey

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 08:37 PM

Since it's already in............drive it. Nothing more you can do now that hasn't already been done. Besides you might be one of the few that it never bothers a thing.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 10:23 PM

i think we all know you're going to drive it. i would, most of us would, how else are you going to get home? Maybe flush the radiator, do some basic preservation maintaining (oil, filters, whatever) and ride out. Keep the speed proper, not too much pushing it, keep a good eye on gauges and fluid levels. Have a little cash, a blanket, and a bottle of Wild Turkey in case you get stranded and cold.
i'm leaving on the 31st with an over 250,000 mile XJ, similar situation. What could happen, it will happen. About 24 hours (NJ to Chicago to Florida) of driving away from home. Supposed to be in decent shape, i checked the oil when i got up here, 3 quarts low. For how long? what damage done? Suppose i'll find out.
It is the holidays, people are more likely to help out. But keep the bourbon handy, drive easy, and have faith in the road gods.
Good luck!!!

Scott...

My Rides
1979 CJ-7: 304, T-150, much is my rebuild
1985 CJ-7: 258, T-5, for Peru Excursion
1989 XJ: has seen every state except Hawaii

In search of lost paths and distant locations...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 05:00 PM
Nickmil

I used some of that one time on an F-head with a cracked head. Used good old K &W block sealer. Worked great.
Never leaked again. Went to change heads about 2 months later and never could get it apart. Even tried a forklift with all the head bolts out, etc. with the weight of the Jeep on it. Basically I put it back together and drove it until I broke a connecting rod and put in a V-6.
Bottom line if it's been run with it in there the damage is probably done so drive it. If it hasn't been run then drain it out. Nickmil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode