Att: H8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 06:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Att: H8

Hey Jeff
You are the master, I am the student.
Jeff something thats going through my head is, I would also like to put a 5.0 HO in my CJ. Right now my power train is 232 ci. engine with a T-18 & dana 20. My question is will my bell houseing bolt up to a 5.0 and what about a flywheel.
Trying not to change the input shaft on the transmission.
Thanks Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 07:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Att: H8

no your bellhousing will not bolt up... you should be able to buy an adapter from advance adapters or some place but it will be quite costly is my guess.. $300-$500 possibly... you should be able to use a 5.0 clutch and pressure plate.. as long as the spline diamter and count is the same..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 09:56 AM

I call my contact @ AA for any compatability questions. If you get a hold of one of their (AA) Complete Tranny Mannuals, it will have, nearly every concievable engine/tranny/T case scenario, and the part numbers to make the marriagee(or divorce) a success. Even with the manual, in my mechanical archives, Its typicaly quicker to just call em up, and ask(unless your trying to solve problems at 1:00 in the morning).
Jeepgods estimate on the price is sad but true,(in fact it could probably be a blanket statement that anything in the AA cataloge, is between $300 and $500).
On a good note though, if a mainshaft swap is neccessary, it is pretty easy to break down the T18 and reassemble. If you know someone in the tranny buis, you can talk them into letting you make copies of their Shop Technical Manuals, and can give you a supplier for the hard to find parts. The last sentence should be read as "find a tranny shop owner/mechanic, and start sucking up",[hint] everyone likes donuts and coffee in the morning, while your discussing their legendary prowess in thier field of expertise [hint].
Things like hydraulic slave/master cylinders, can be solved with a little enginuity, so dont go the packaged AA solution for those types of issues.
Good luck, it should be a strong, reliable combo, with quite a few future options for ratio and strength upgrades, if neccessary.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 11:53 AM

Couldnt he get a Ford bellhousing for the 5.0, and get a longer (Ford) T-18 input shaft and be good to go? The bolt pattern should be the same on the tranny, and the only real difference should be length of the input shaft. As far as the pressure plate goes, O went to a shop here in town that builds clutches, and I got a Chevy 11" Borg and Beck (3 finger) pressure plate, and a 10 spline by 1 1/16" disk for a ford and it cost me 85 bucks for the pair. Beats the heck outta all the "Conversion" stuff.

TJ

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 12:15 PM

That makes sense. If you can avoid using the adapters, it sure saves a load of cash.

Jeff
89 YJ
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 02:41 PM

hehehe... of all the Jeeps that are "altered"?! Should read, "CAUTION, SERIOUS FAB WORK IN PROGRESS!!!"

TJ

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 07:28 PM

Is it a Jeep t-18? None of the ford bellhousings will bolt up. The 5.0 mustang t5 bellhousing is different than the regular ford bellhousing also and will not work even with a regular ford tranny. I bought an AA adapter from No Excuses for just over $200, a flywheel from a ford truck with a FI 5.0, 11" ford pressure plate, 11" jeep disc. You could also replace the main shaft with a ford unit and then modify the ford bellhousing. It will cost about the same. I bought the adapter because my t-18 leaks out of the input and it incorperates a seal in there so it solved a second problem for me too.

The ford bellhousings come in two linkage flavors hydrolic and mechanical. Both were used in the 80's. I used a hydrolic and modified it for a mechanical linkage because I will eventually probably go to a hydrolic one. There are two flywheels for the truck 5.0 you need one from a FI'd engine. You cannot use a 10" flywheel in an 11" bellhousing.

'79 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode