bad starter ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

bad starter ?

i was at the friend's house, went out to start my YJ and it wouldn't crank over, you can hear the clicking sound as long as you turn the ignition on, but it doesn't start. we pushed it and jump-started it and it was fine to drive home, after i shut it off at home, i tried to start it again, but it would just click and not start. i assume it's a bad starter, but just wanted to double-check first before i go out and buy a new starter and find out it's not the problem

<>< 1992 Jeep YJ
http://home.off-road.com/~lifted/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: bad starter ?

Check out your battery, it could be bad. If you have a bad cell the Jeep will run when push started, but not have enough juice to crank over.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 09:42 AM
Old Hand

or the alternator could have gone south causing the battery not to charge up, or you could have a wiring problem (loose wire or corrosion). most auto parts places (autozone, advance auto parts, etc) can test your alternator, battery, and starter.

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 10:38 AM
Old Hand

Ditto on the parts store. Take your tools and be prepared to pull the alt, starter or batt for bench testing if they can't test it in the vehicle. Either way they are all easy fixes.

78 CJ7 Golden Eagle/TR Ignition/Weberized/2" leafs
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

i don't think it's a bad battery, since the jeep started fine just few hours before and all the electrical stuff works fine, wel, except for starter, i guess.
also, Maint. Required light came on when i tried to start it.

<>< 1992 Jeep YJ
http://home.off-road.com/~lifted/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 12:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The battery is only needed to START the jeep. Once it is running the altenator is doing all the work. THEREFORE it's NOT the altenator (you drove home using that). It's probably the battery, but you might just have a bad connection. Check all the connections for corrosion.

Oh btw... you say you pushed it and jumped started it? Do you mean BUMP started it? Jump starting is with JUMPER cables, and that means your starter would do the work. If you BUMP started it.... means you pushed it and let out the clutch to turn the engine over. That would mean the battery is good, starter is bad.

78 CJ5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 02:06 PM

HEre is what you do se if its the battery, the wiring, the starter relay or the starter. You will need a spare battery some jumper cables and a set of aligater clips. first disconect your battery and the two cables that go to the starter. Take the jumper cables and put the black to spare battery neg and the other black to the starter body. Take the red to spare batery positive and to the terminal on the starter that has the big thick wire going to it. Now take put one end of the aligator clip and hook it to the big terminal on the starter. Now touch the other end of the clips to the terminal hat had the little wire going to it. If your starter is good it will turn over. As always be carefull when working with the positive wires only hook them to the terminals on the starter or there will be a big Spark. IF it still doesn't turn over your starter might still be good but there might be nothing left of you starter brushes. They are easy to change and are a lot cheaper than buying a new starter (mabye 20 bucks). But if they look good and it still wont turn over your starter is probably toast. Here is what you do to test your wiring. Before doing anything I would clean your battery post and the connectors at the starter and the starter relay. Buy your self a mutimeter and set it dc volts. There should be constent 12 volts at the big wire on the starter. Use a set of jumper cables in its place to make sure the wire is still good. Now (with your jeep in neutral and the parking brake on) Have somebody turn the ignition to start, you should now hav 12 volts at the little wire that goes to the starter. If you don't, trace the wire up to the starter realy put your meter on the terminal that it pluged into and turn the ignition to start. If you stil don't have power here then your relay is toast or your ignition switch or the wire that comes from it is bad. Hope this isn't hard to understand and I would meter the sytem out before I would test it with the spar battery and the jumper cables.

88 YJ:4.2 I6 TR upgrade and MC2100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode